Flying after TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 5 months post op & would like to go on holiday which would involve  a 3 hour 'plane journey . I'm recovering well but if I walk too far or on my feet too long knee keeps me awake at night. I Do still have the stiff band round. Has  anyone else travelled far since surgery? 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen I'm 4 weeks post TKR I'm due to fly Greece 8th September and have been told by my consultant will be fine to fly. I've booked extra leg room seats to give me a bit more space. We like to walk a lot on hols and again consultant has said shouldn't be a problem and my knee will tell me if I've done too much. I would say go enjoy yourself just be mindful of your knee and listen to your body.

• Posted

Hi Eileen

I am also five months tkr and havnt had any problems with travel. Seven weeks post op I did a ten hour round trip with very little side effects. I did break the trip with short stops to stretch the leg. Four weeks ago I flew to New Zealand from Australia, a three and a half hour flight ,again with no issues other than a bit of stiffness when departing the plane but no worse than the normal stiffness that occurs after sitting for a while. The return flight was also uneventful. But having said all this, its been some time since my knee has given me any trouble of a night-not like the early weeks!! Heres hoping you have a trouble free flight.

• Posted

Yep, I travel 3-4 trips a year to Asia and underwent bilateral knee replacements on Mar 21 2016. On July 23 2016 I flew 8 hrs to Kuala Lumpur then on to Bangkok. I housesat for a friend for 3 weeks prior, twice daily dog walking, lots of shopping and then swimming and backpacking around Thailand. I developed an effusion in my right knee. Probably from overdoing it. Take it easy. Be kind to yourself. At 15 months post op I can do most of the stuff a 65 year old fit women can do whilst travelling. I believe you will know soon enough if you're overdoing it. Put your feet up and allow lots of rest days.x

• Posted

Thanks Lyn . Yes I will have some rest  days  as knee  definitely plays up if I don't. I'm going with one of my daughters & we love the beach. I went with my other daughter last year after unsuccessful keyhole surgery on same knee. But the Total is more painful.   I'm 78 & normally very active. But admit am a bit apprehensive this time. ,we know Kefalonia  , a Greek island well & love it. I'm definitely going, I love the sea,beach & the holiday atmosphere. I care for my husband after he had a stroke but he will be looked after. I need to go  sooo excited 

• Posted

Hi eileen,im 14 weeks TKR and waiting to go in for MUA i go on holiday 31st aug,4hour flight booked extra leg room will just listen to my body if i feel tired or bit stiff just sit do a bit of people watching with a wee vino lol then carry on i think after what we'v all been through a holiday is so nice so like what everyone has said just be kind to yourself you know your own body so enjoy x

• Posted

hi Victoria,that is me to a tee,  I can people watch easily,will have a tot or two as well as you say we deserve it after the hell we've been through . I can't wait to go ,Im so excited  .it was unexpected this year we had written it off but  my daughter has arranged it said it would do us both good I think everyone works hard theses days & needs a holiday YES? Enjoy yours tooo & keep well x

• Posted

Hi Eileen. I had both knees done together 14 weeks ago. I have just got back from St Lucia a 9 hour flight. Book Airport Assistance it is free of charge and you have assitance from when you check in. with a wheel chair or golf buggie. Straight on to the plane and back home again. Whilst I was there i could still use the Gym and you will have a pool. I was still on a crutch with my husband the other side. We did not do any trips but it was a lovely just to relax and chill.

• Posted

Well done colette thats amazing after 14 weeks with both your knees done good advise if you need it booking airport assistance and i agree after all we'v all been through if you can a holiday just the tonic x

• Posted

Hi Victoria. Just to make you aware if you damage your knee whilst away you will not be covered on your Holiday Insurance, Everything else is just not your knee, As it is cast as a pre existing condition and you need to take out a pre existing insurance to cover yourself which will cost about £4-500. So I didnt bother.

• Posted

Thank's colette i never knew that but it'l be a relaxing beach holiday and il be very careful,cant wait biggrin x

• Posted

That's brilliant Colette 14 weeks is amazing specially having the two done. Yes I'm going to ask for airport assistance. I doubt if even after 22 weeks I could walk to the gate, they are always so far away..we will mostly be on the beach & beach cafe etc .am so looking forward to it , in 2 weeks time !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.