Flying after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 5 months after TKR & would like to go on holiday but it would involve a 3 hour flight. How soon have others flown since TKR 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen

I am 3months post tkr and am going on holiday next week I was going to put this question on also as I am getting a little anxious

Look forward to some replies hopefully

• Posted

Hi Eileen, i flew after 3months.Would recommend flight socks though. Just keep moving your leg around during flight. Have a good holiday. X
  • Posted

Basic principles:

Get o.k. from surgeon

Hydrate well at all times and start increasing water 72 hrs before flight.

Walk the aisle of the plane at least once an hour..don't let the leg tighten on you. Take 1/4 grain aspirin early morning of flight. These precautions are to help prevent blood clots.

Make sure you have a pilot that appears to be in good health. It may not be your time to go and you want to make sure it isn't his.

Biggest concerns of flying after knee surgery is the DVT or deep vein clotting but you are far enough out it shouldn't be a problem unless you have had some type unusual situation. If being ambulatory after sitting is a problem, have the airline dispatch a wheelchair to meet you.

• Posted

I flew a few months after bilateral tkr. Be sure to get up and move on the flight. Do ankle pumps. Call the airline and request a wheel chair. It will help save your legs. Drink lots of water. Ask your physician about taking a baby aspirin before you fly to help with ankle swelling. Happy flying. Your knees wlll continue to progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.