Flying after Tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 5 months post Tkr & would love to go on holiday, it would involve a 4 hour flight. My knee still has the stiff band around it & sometimes sore. Is it too early or have others flown this soon after surgery. Holida by the sea seems a million miles away

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, No I flew at 8 weeks , no probs, checked with my surgeon, we r all different give your surgeon secretary a call just to confirm!!
    • Posted

Ah , thanks Jackie, I will gosh I'm so excited been feeling down with this recovery . xx

• Posted

I'm only a few days out of surgery but....a question somebody asked in my physio group is how soon can I fly - his answer was in 6 months you could do a uk us flight so a 4 hr flight post 5 months should be fine - I am pre disposed to dvt so would always wear flight socks anyway - if it were me I would go for it! and enjoy it

• Posted

Ah the sitter, that's great, I'm so excited after feeling a bit down with this long recovery , I'll take it carefully, x

• Posted

Eileen, I went to Lanzarote at five months, I booked extra legroom seats but as it turned out I needn't have worried, it was fine and a holiday does you and your knee the world of good especially if you are able to swim ever day. Go ahead and enjoy it.😊

• Posted

Thanks Jane that's just what I wanted to hear. I am sure the holiday in Kefelonia will do me SO much good. Xx

• Posted

Hi Eileen --

I had my TKR on October 4, 2016 in Florida. I flew to NY on December 16, 2017 with my surgeon's approval. The flight was 21/2 hours - I had no problems. Get up and walk to the restroom a couple of times just to move your leg. I did take my ecotrin (aspirin) every day for 4 months to avoid bloob clots. You are 5 months post TKR - you should not have any problems, but always check with your doctor to be on the safe side. Enjoy your trip and let us know how much fun you had when you return. J-21370.

• Posted

Thank you j21370 much appreciate your  reply ,I was a bit apprehensive but the pull to go to Kefelonia (a Greek island) again was too much..I'm sure the sun & sea will do me good. Kefalonia is hilly though so wherever you go there are steps or stairs. I will take them as they come .sooo excited x

• Posted

Hi Eileen, sounds a fab idea, you deserve it!

I'm planning on doing long haul in the next month or so to Singapore. It entails either a 14 hr direct flight or two 8 hour flights. Think I'm going to do the 2 x 8 hour flights so I can walk and stretch my leg.

If you can book your flight seats by the emergency exit you'll have more leg room.

Go and enjoy 😊 

• Posted

Ah, thanks Ali yes I've had lots of positive replies it's given me more confidence. Gosh we have to start living sometime !! life has been on hold since January, but I do know I've got to be careful not to over do it as my knee tells me.Good

Luck going long haul, have done it many times when much younger. Even without the knee I'd find it hard now. My first hubby & I travelled with his work & going long haul 2 & 3 times a year sometimes on my own I said not anymore. But it wasn't holidaying & I was chaperoned to see the sights & shop. Quite lonely really. A holiday would be different sure you will enjoy. Let us know how you get on . I'm excited @ holidaying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.