flying in pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

in a few months i am flying to Hawaii from Australia and i have recently been diagnosed with IBS and was wondering if there was anybody who could help with recipes and ways to deal with the pain 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe phone the airline and tell them about your IBS and dietary requirements to see if they can offer alternative meals on the flight. If you have not been prescribed an antispasmodic ask your doctor for one or try over the counter Buscopan and Nurofen.

When I went on holiday, the day after my IBS diagnosis, I had no trouble with pain although I took my Buscopan just in case.  Food was no problem for me and still causes no symptoms because I have stress related IBS rather than food intolerance IBS.

You may find that your symptoms get better on holiday because you will be more relaxed and there will be more things to distract you and take your mind off your symptoms.  This was my experience.

• Posted

yes, unfortunately we have already asked and they said that they have no meals that would be able fit with my dietry requirements. 

that is an awesome idea. thank you i will see how i go

• Posted

Another trick is to take an anti spasmodic before you get any pain from stress or food reactions and this tends to be more effective than taking them once you get symptoms.  Is it possible to buy any IBS friendly snacks at the airport before you get on the plane that you can take on board with you?

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

• Posted

okay, thank you i will definetely give that a try.

i am not sure if the airport will have food as i do not which food they have but i will see when i get there on the day

thank you, i fully intend to

• Posted

Hope holiday goes well.

if you find you still need help with ibs later it is worth speaking to a dietician who can help.   I found low Fodmap diet helpful in controlling symptoms.

• Posted

thank you, so do i

okay that is a good idea. i have found that the low FODMAP diet is helping but has not yet completely settled my stomach. however, there is a vast improvment from when i first started 

• Posted

Great, yes it will help, just keep following it.  I have recently made lasagne and a stir fry from a fodmap cookbook. My symptoms not gone but more manageable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.