Flying Long Haul With An Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst (12cm by 9cm) and I am due to fly to California on April 8th.

I have trawled the internet trying to find some answers on whether flying with an ovarian cyst is safe but I haven't found very much....I have another appointment with the gynecologist on Thursday to discuss treatment etc but I am so worried in the mean time! I hate being in limbo land so I wonder if anyone can help with their experience?! If I have to have surgery and it cant wait until after my trip, I will not be able to fly because of the DVT risk, but obviously if I am not able to fly due to the risks of flying with a large cyst I may lose my holiday all together!

The cyst is a functional cyst and is just filled with fluid, it gives me no pain, just a little discomfort here and there. I have to pee a lot, I can't eat as much etc but apart from the worrying that I am going to damdage/rupture it thats about all.

Has anyone had any experience flying with ovarian cysts? I spoke to one lady who had an 18cm one and had been doing lots of flying, including long haul and had been fine.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ann,

That's great that they caught it in time, I am so pleased that you had such a good outcome! I am pretty nervous about everything, I have not had an operation before. Health is the most important thing though and I wouldnt want to risk it spreading!

What type of cyst did you have?

I went to see the gynae yesterday and she is sending me for an MRI scan which I am waiting for the appointment for. I have also had some bloods done and will be having surgery when I get back from my trip (if i go)

Feeling pretty nervous!

• Posted

Hi tb53756,

The type of cyst was never discussed, so I didn't realise that there maybe different types. All I know is mine was a little bit bigger than a house brick.

It came right up to my lungs making breathing difficult. Pressed hard against my stomach, so I couldn't each very much at mealtimes. It was a bit like having a gastric band.

Anyway that's all behind me now and I am now as good as new.

Whatever you decide about your holiday I hope everything goes well for you too.

Ann XX

• Posted

Just wanted to let everyone know (in case anyone else googles this question in the future), I was perfectly fine flying. I had no issues at all and I was absolutely fine. This was on a return flight from London Heathrow to Los Angeles (11.5 hrs approx) smile

• Posted

Hi Beccy,

I have 2 big fluid filled cysts, one on each ovary.  I was the same as you, didn't even know they were there and my dr found them by chance checking something else.  I'm waiting for a date for my surgery as they are too big for keyhole too but because they are benign (phew) I have to wait 2-4 months.  I'm looking forward to seeing how much they weigh... Last night I came back from a 3 hour flight and today am extremely bloated and uncomfortable - but have been flying without realising they were there before that with no problems! Perhaps it's a lack of rest and sleep too.  I called a travel insurance company and told them about it, so now I am covered and it cost me an extra £25 for the year - worth having for peace of mind!  I took my hospital letter with me with the insurance documents so if anything did happen the doctors can see straight away what it is.  It's very worrying.  I think as long as you get plenty of rest and get a bag on wheels so you don't have to carry anything you should be ok, but do get the insurance! It was insure and go. Hope all goes well! xx

• Posted

Im due to fly overseas, backpacking and train transportation in 2 weeks. I just found out 2 days ago ive got a large 6x6cm ovarian cyst! After having been misdiagnosed for a UTI.

So far, I've had 2 gyne tell me i can go. However, rupture is always a possibility. They told me to "be careful" and "take medical insurance in case you end up in an ER there." sad

So now, im worrying about it that happening on the plane, and on my trip. Ia it worth the risk?? Im already a nervous flier. I hate being this uncomfortable too. It pushes on my bladder and rectum, Making it difficult to pee and poop.

To fly, trek with a backback, or not? Anyone have advise?

• Posted

Hi Beccy,

I am in the EXACT SAME BOAT as you were.

Mine is 6 x 6cm on the left ovary. It's not as large as yours was, but I too am worried about flying long haul (to Europe actually). I'd be gone for 17 days.

Ultrasound reports/images indicate a "simple" cyst (is that same as funtional?) most likely filled with fluid. I'm worried about it rupturing on the plane, and during my travels abroad. I am not carrying a very heavy load (maybe 15 lbs most) as a backpack. My friends and I are doing train travel, hotel stays, sightseeing, etc.

I've had 2 quick Gyne consults, official appts this week. They, along with my GP have said it was fine to travel, but to take care and bring medical insurance just in case. This has me worried! GP gave me T3s for pain control in case I need it. So far, my symptoms are just as yours were: mostly discomfort, bloating, lots of peeing, and constipation. I did get my period (thank goodness, because I heard the cyst could deflate), and got cramps.

How was your flight? Your trip? Yours was larger in size, so I'm curious how you were on your trip with your cyst.

Any insight is helpful.

Thanks so much!!

Rami

• Posted

Yes I was diagnosed yesterday with one the size of a golf ball. Dr assured me cabin pressure would not affect it even though last time I flew it broke on plane. So we took off to Colorado last night and the higher we got the more painful x 10 it got! But when we landed the pain was gone and 30 min later it broke. I took 2 tramadol with 600 mg oh ibuprofen. That did help somewhat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.