Flying with a 12cm dermoid ovarian cyst

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone flown medium/long haul with a dermoid ovarian cyst? My cyst is approx 12 x 12 x 9.5cm on my left ovary and a 17mm adenofibroma cyst on my right ovary. Due to fly about 6 hour flight in around 8 weeks but not sure if I can now!? Feeling confused and nervous as I'm reading different things some say yes some say no!! Currently waiting for surgery but won't be til at least October as I need to lose some weight for my operation.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I flew long haul with 3 x cysts, totalling > 28cm. The surgeon didn't seem to think it was a problem, so I proceeded and everything was fine. I made sure adequate insurance was in place though, in case I had issues overseas.

• Posted

Thank you. That makes me feel a little less anxious. Just worried as the MRI I had shows more solid components posteriorly which they think could be some sort of torsion compared to the previous MRI I had 6 months earlier. I will go and speak with my family doctor to see what he thinks as I don't see my gynae til the end of October unless he calls me in earlier once he's had my CA125 blood results back.

• Posted

Did they not mention anything about torsion, Lugs? My consultant whom I have not even met has advised me to cancel my holiday of a lifetime because of risk of torsion. My dermoid cyst is 8.2cm x 6.8cm x 7.5cm x
  • Posted

Hi! While I was waiting for surgery my Doctor asked me not to travel. It was more about being in a remote location and not being able to get proper medical care if it ruptured,  so I was grounded! 
  • Posted

Hi 

I did! We flew to Thailand then flew back home a week before my surgery! Mine were around 8 cba & 11cms.

My consultant said it was fine ( which it was) I was worried about then rupturing or twisting but she reassured me by saying the larger they are they're less lily to twist as they haven't got much room to move & they'd been there a long time with no ill effects & flying wouldn't change that, the only concern is your insurance just as a precaution it's best to check you're properly covered

Have you asked your Dr/Consultant?! 

• Posted

Hi, thanks that sounds reassuring. I'm going to see my family doctor tomorrow to have a chat and see what he suggests. I will check my travel insurance if he gives me the ok to travel. Thanks again.

• Posted

No problem fingers crossed for you!

When will you get your blood results back?! 

Apologies about the typos I didn't notice them until this afternoon lol x

• Posted

I'm not sure when I will get blood results back, had them taken over a month ago and got my Gynae letter yesterday (Monday 4th June) dated 24th May saying their still awaiting results which seems a bit long to me from my appointment on 1st May. Also says they will contact me if they want me in before October. Just hoping my GP will be able to tell me my blood results tomorrow. Just need answers so I can book vaccinations and check my cysts are covered on my travel insurance in case anything does happen whilst I'm away, if I am given the all clear to travel. These cysts are more trouble then they're worth lol. Just one worry after another with them.

• Posted

Denise, I am having the same problem at the moment. I am pregnant and had my 12 week scan yesterday, they found a dermoid cyst on my left ovary, 8.2cm x 6.8cm x 7.5cm. I am due to fly to California in two weeks and three days. My problem is that I saw who midwife who said she had discussed this with a consultant (he hasn't actually met me in person!) and he advised not to fly long-haul due to the risk of torsion. It doesn't appear that the holiday itself is the cause for concern, it is the actual flight. I have had no symptoms and I am now mortified that he said I cannot travel. I cannot get any travel insurance as I would be flying against medical advice. They want to just monitor it and not operate due to me being pregnant, but said I may never need surgery if it doesn't grow. Help! I'm in such turmoil about it.

• Posted

Hi. So sorry you've been told you can't fly. I can't see why they wouldn't operate once you've had baby as it seems that anything over 5cm is removed and yours is 8cm so needs to be removed, they won't rush to do it though whilst you're paid free. Yours is obviously growing or it wouldn't be the size it is now! I have to lose weight for mine to be removed but have been told if I get severe pain to present myself to A&E and ask for my surgeon who will come and assess if I need emergency surgery. Mines grew 2cm between MRI scans just 6 months apart and my last MRI was 8 months ago! So mines probably grown 2 to 3cms bigger since last measured. I spoke to my GP yesterday to check I could fly and she was happy for me to do so but I'm going to double check as she doesn't know my case history even though I explained everything to her. These cysts are so worrying and the medical staff just relay mixed messages. I'm going to try and get hold of my surgeon today to see what he suggests as he is the bone that knows my history and can give me a better answer.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply. Where abouts are you going on holiday? It's so frustrating as I could have had this for years, I have never had to have any ultrasound scans and I'm 31 now. I have seen my GP today, unfortunately they cannot provide a "fit to fly" or "fit to travel" statement anymore and they said the travel insurance providers are out of order by requesting this as they cannot guarantee everything.

• Posted

Hi, I guess they are just being extra cautious with you so not to cause any risk to the baby if anything did happen to your cyst whilst flying.

I'm going to Cape Verde Islands, I contacted my Gynaecologists Secretary today and she emailed my gynaecologist for me. He got back to her and she rang me telling me he had given me approval to travel but to make sure my travel insurance covered me for ovarian cysts. He also said if I need a letter of approval that the insurance company needed to write to him themselves. She said the main problem was the turbulence and cabin pressure causing a torsion but I should be ok. I think I'll ask for some pain killers from my GP incase I need them. These cysts are more trouble than there worth!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.