Flying with a hydrocele

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone.

I have had a large tense hydrocele on my left testicle (abou the size of a small avacado) since i was 13. I am 25, now.

I am going on a trip to Mexico with my girlfriend, and her mom, and her brother, and her brother's girlfriend. My girlfriend of 4 years is the ONLY other person that knows about my hydrocele, besides myself. I've learned that airports now have these AIT (Advanced Imaging Technology) body scanners, instead of the typical metal detectors. I've never flown before, and have no idea what the airport security process is like. And i'm afraid that one of these AIT scanners are going to pick up a false alarm because of my hydrocele, causing them to have to do a pat down, and everything. With my hydrocele being the tense kind, it's quite hard, and i don't want them to think that i have something hiding in that area, and i have to be completely embarassed, and get taken to a private room, and have to show them, or something.

Have any of you flown with a hydrocele, and was it ever a problem?

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous... it's just freaking me out...

Thanks...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I highly doubt the fluid will show on the scanner as it is abdominal fluid which is part of your person. Its like swollen ankle fluid. It will show clear on the scanner. Enjoy your holiday. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply... I hope it doesn't get picked up...
  • Posted

Hey, Joey.  I can't attest to the new airport scanners as I haven't flown in a while.  I can tell you, though, not to feel embarrassed or worry if you're singled out to be "inspected".  Travelling alone, I was pulled off the line and checked almost every time I flew (one reason I avoid it now).
    • Posted

Thanks Ron. What did they do to you, and what did you tell them? Should I tell them that I have the hydrocele before even going through? I just don't want to be embarrassed in front of my girlfriend's mom, and brother, and stuff...
    • Posted

No, Joey, they shouldn't mention anything private in the open.  They will ask you to accompany them to a small tent or room where a security guard may pat you down or ask you to go through another screening machine.  In my case, they wanted to double check my baggage and pat me down but this was before I even went through the scanner.  They didn't know about my hydrocele (it wasn't very big back then).
  • Posted

I have flown about 50 times with the hydrocele, this should not even be worth a thought 0.000000% chance of anything, your good bro..actually next week is the first time in about 10 years I am flying hydrocele free smile

• Posted

Thanks for the piece of mind, sir. And congrats on the sucessful operation. (read your post about it) How big was yours? you made it through one of the body scanners, and it didn't pick it up? i leave early Thursday morning, and am freaking out the closer, and closer it gets.
    • Posted

You are probably on your flight since it is after thursday morning and Im sure you were fine. Yeah those things only pick up like metal anyway. The whole right side was probably a little larger than the size of a large grade A egg.
  • Posted

Did everything go off ok, sorry to reactivate this post after so long, but I am flying as well shortly with a Hydrocele, just wanted to make sure the advanced scanners don't pick up anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.