Flying with ectopics

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all does anyone have any information if flying affects etopics? i cannot seem to find anything useful on the net, thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i can only speak from experience but the actual act of flying doesnt affect my ectopics, and i recently flew two long haul flights over 10 hours. the stress leading up to flying has though, so if holidays are a stressful time for you try and find ways to mitigate the stress (unload some responsibilities onto family members!)

best of luck and enjoy your flight!

• Posted

thank you thomas for your reply, yes my ectopics are having a field day i think because i really dont like flying but i refuse to let these affect leading as normal life as possible. i do always take an asprin before flying as a precaution.

• Posted

im glad to heard youre not letting them stop you enjoying life, i type this whilst i can feel a few flip flops but im still going out tonight to enjoy myself!

i used to have a few drinks before flying but these days i skip that and try other relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises.

best of luck with your flight, have a great time!

• Posted

Hi there,I hope you`ll have a great holiday. Skeaking for myself, I get preventive treatment for the irregular heart rhythm (the premature atrial/ventricular contraction and extrasystole, which is usually followed by a brief pause...), also I keep diet to loose weight no smoking, and having a daily dose of aspir in for gapless, elongated results for a normal life. My problem seems to be a consequence of a surgery in the past, followed by osteoarthritis which can affect the organs, sending me on holiday.

So, for example, me, for a one way 10 hours long fly Canada, I would take the treatment and all the prevention measures to derogate the stress (I derogate better the stress sleeping, TV, reading, etc).

All the best and have a great holiday

• Posted

hi, i went on 3hr flight this week. the actual flight itself didnt cause a change in my ectopic beats. however the build up to it like the anxiety etc can induce them.

• Posted

Glad to hear you had no problems. If the anxiety can change the ectopics then probably the fear of fly/falling, change of temperature, previous injuries, etc can be the triggers.

• Posted

I'm a fearful flyer and I've flown on two trips (eight flights) since April. Flying itself seems to have no effect on my ectopics. The anxiety around the trips, however, will cause a flareup. For instance, turbulence affects my anxiety. When I flew in April, we went through a storm and the turbulence was pretty frightening. My heart was pounding and racing and I felt a few skips and thuds. At that point, it occurred to me that I could either get a grip, ride with the turbulence, and calm myself, or I could allow the fear to grip me and then go through the vicious cycle of ectopics, fear, more ectopics, and more fear.

When I flew a couple of weeks ago, I taught myself a trick for dealing with turbulence so that my heart stays steady. I selected seats over or close to the wing, and every time we hit bumps, I looked at the wing. The wing always looks stable, even when you feel the plane rocking, and when you see it you can know that the plane is flying just fine. Sure enough, on the last flight home, we went through some weather on the descent. I immediately looked at the wing from my window and could see that it was just lightly bouncing, but we were flying steadily and not dropping the way it sometimes feels to your body. I didn't feel afraid anymore, and my heart thanked me.

TL;DR: Learn some strategies for dealing with the anxiety around flying, and your ectopics will probably be no worse than they normally are on the ground.

• Posted

Hi, I am glad that you get over your etopics, especially flying so often. Some people can get over their heart problems looking to keep their time busy, so lowering the risk for etopics/. On the other side, some are increasing the fear, raising problems. As I was saying on a previous post, for example, me, for a one way 10 hours long fly Canada, I would take the heart treatment, also Aspirin for circulation and gapless, elonGated results for a normal life and/or other prevention measures to derogate the stress (reading in the day light of the window, watching movies and working on laptop, or staying low, resting in the night time, etc). All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.