Flying with SVT

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with SVT AVNRT in 2013 and had 2 unsuccessful ablations since then. I have a trip to Europe planned this summer with two 13 hour flights and small flights in between.

The only maneuver that helps me is the modified Valsalva. Not really sure how helpful it will be during the flight. I also have a small dose of beta blocker that seems to do nothing.

If you guys flown with SVT what has your experience been and what extra percussions should I take?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I have had SVT my whole life and have had episodes while traveling. I was recently prescribed a low dose CCB to take as needed, but I feel that it doesn't really work to stop an episode on its own. Though not 100%, the best "maneuver" I've found for on the go is to hold my breath. Another thing that's helped in the past (which may be doable on a plane) is putting a bag of ice on your face to bring your heart rate down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.