Flying with TN

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I am currently being investigated for TN.  Symptoms are electric like shocks in my gums and teeth around my left hand side.  It all started on a flight in July and has returned on 3 other flights since then.  The pain is excruciating and painkillers dont help.  In September the pain came at home which was a complete shock as I thought it was dental trouble affected by air pressure.  I don't have any facial pain and dont know what the triggers are when not flying.  After having dental treatment I have seen a doctor at the Dental Hospital who believes it is TN but having an MRI scan next week.  I am taking Oxcarbazepine 300mg daily.  The pain has subsided but I am getting daily tingling in my teeth which feels like the pain is about to start but doesn't.  There are lots of things to get my head around and it is a very upsetting time for me and my family.  My dentist has suggested that I might not be able to fly again as this seems to be the only trigger that we can identify.  Has anyone else had pain when flying and could suggest help of how to deal with it.    

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This past November, I had what I would consider to be an "incident" where I traveled out of town for a work event.  The first day was fine (full of meetings, etc).  The next day, woke up with facial pain (I thought of it as a migraine), and nausea.   Eventually, the pain was so bad that I had to leave the office, and was vomiting before I could even get to the hotel.  This lasted all afternoon.  Since then, I've had approx 4 of these "incidences"... and they only occur when I travel out of town.  I initially thought it was TMJ (which I was diagnosed with after cracking a tooth a year ago).  I also had to have that tooth extracted (back tooth) and had an implant put in.  I had never dealt with any of this prior to that process.  The last two "incidences" were horrifying... my parents had to actually retrieve me from one of the events (and i"m 38 years old), a I not only have facial pain and headache, but non-stop vomiting and nausea.  Because I assumed this was TMJ, I began taking pain meds on the night after my first meetings, to prevent the next day's reaction.  This helped for two out of town events, but on the last, it did not help at all.  I don't know if it's long drives or what, but this NEVER happens at home.  Basically, I can feel a dull ache at home (especially after this last time), but I don't have the blow ups that happen to me when I'm out of town.  Your post about this happening only when you fly is the closest thing I"ve seen to what is happening to me.  Please keep me posted on what helps you.  I'm having a brain scan next week, and am going to a physical therapist who specializes in cranial/facial pain management. Thank you.

• Posted

I have been incident free since my post. Instead, I have been to two dentists and an endodontist - despite numerous prodding and xrays etc, they could find nothing wrong. I have been seen by an ENT consultant, who doesn`t think that it is related to my sinus, but has recommended a nasal spray 30 minutes prior to take-off, and an acupuncturist, who is sticking needles in me twice a week on the basis that she has had success with other trigeminal neuralgia sufferers. My GP has recommended starting Tetragol on a low dosage. I suspect that my pain is caused by cabin pressure. Ordinary painkillers may not work if it is neurological. I suggest that you look into trigeminal neuralgia - but not alone. It is frightening in some respects. The only positive thing from my perspective was that an MRI scan ruled out MS, which (unbeknown to me, the medical people were considering)!
  • Posted

i got my first TN attack when flying to Johannesburg and then got them nearly every time since. The only time i haven't had it was when i flew on a new A380 and the Boeing Dreamliner so it seems to not affect me on the new aircrafts. Must have something to do with the cabin pressure.

• Posted

I have not flown since February 2018. I then managed to break a tooth in my lower right at the start of April. Examination revealed dental nerve issues with the lower right wisdom tooth and the adjacent broken tooth resulting in root canal treatment for the two teeth. CT cone scans were taken of upper and lower teeth on the right side. No problems found for the upper right. Endontist said that as the pathology has changed I should try flying again to see what happens. However, I must confess to being too afraid to do so. I would not wish to aggravate something, which could result in daily occurrence when not flying. On the other hand, my own researches led me to discover a condition called barodontalgia, which might be relevant. Unfortunately, I do not want to be a "medical/dental guinea pig". On each occasion, my pain started when the aircraft was ascending steeply - not when it was descending. Using Flightradar I was able to identify the exact point on several flights. My personal suspicion is that the pain is caused by the rate of ascent together with final altitude as I had no problems on the large Boeing (I cant remember whether it was a 777 or 787) which did two long haul 14 hour flights in January-February and neither went so high nor ascended so quickly. My severe problems occurred on shorter flights and smaller aircraft (in 2017, on 90-120 minute - bearable 2 or 3 out of 10 in pain; in 2018, 240 minute flights - increased to 8 and then 11 out of 10). Apparently pilots have suffered barodontalgia since the 1940s but it is was rarely diagnosed again until the 1990s. I also discovered that it might be possible to use a hyperbaric chamber as a diagnostic tool. Unfortunately, there is no facility close to me and none of the medical/dental people I have consulted this year seem either familiar and/or interested in the idea. I also underwent a course of acupuncture. The only re-assuring thing is that I have not suffered pain since the various treatments. However, the problem is - I do not know if that is because I have not been flying!!! One thing is certain - the pain was neurological. So ordinary painkillers do not work. I hope that you have a better time of it. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I get TN even when the air pressure is low, I keep an eye on weather reports and am always worse when the pressure goes below 1000.

I don't fly at all, am too scared of that awful pain that can last for months,

Wishing you all the best,

Sally

• Posted

hi thanks for sharing your experiences. i was terrified to fly even though my consultant said because my TN was stable with medication, i should go on a short flight to try again. i was terrified but decided to try or give up going on holiday. The flight was only an hour to London and i had already decided i could get the train home should i suffer an attack. All went well and since then I have been on a return 2 and a half hour flight, again with no effects. We are planning a long haul flight next year but I am already feeling worried incase the length of time flying triggers an attack. i did have to increase my meds a few days before i flew so i will check with my consultant about the long haul flight. I hope you get relief for your TN and feel stronger to attempt another flight if you want to. Thanks for all the information its very interesting and worth researching. Good luck.

• Posted

hi Betty, reading your post is comforting (sort of) because now i know Im not going mad. I have had 3 awful but thankfully brief episodes of what i think is TM. All on planes. I will be flying from AUSTRALIA to Costa Rica and I'm not looking forward to it. Wondering if you have had any relief? any tips? medication you'd recommend? I used to fly alot and no probs, now im 51 and it seems im mote susceptible .

hope you're well, Melissa

• Posted

hi Melissa

i really sympathise with you as its the worst thing to suffer with tn never mind being stuck on a plane suffering an attack. i have been very stable for almost a year and havent flown since last summer which was fine. i have been told to double up my medication a day or 2 before any flight, which i did for going on a short flight to London last year. That was successful however i did feel effects of the extra medication. i am planning a trip to USA this year with my husband and must admit i am really scared of being on a long flight. i will see my consultant before i go and hopefully he will tell me how to prepare for it. I did get valium from my GP on advice from the consultant but i only intended to take it if an attack started during the flight. i really hope you get some help for your flight as its hard enough to have this conditin without it affecting our oppertunity to go on holidays. All the best and i hope you enjoy your trip.

• Posted

thanks BETTY, I hope I have nothing significant to report. Cheers

• Posted

Hi Betty! Everything I read here gave me some good insight about flying. I've had Trigeminal Neuralgia for twelve years and for the first nine I didn't think twice about it (flying) and never had an attack in the air. My position on the subject has since changed. Three years ago I had a TN attack that 'RAGED' for days into weeks and another one this past January. I been on a liquid diet since 2016 and a month ago finally had the MVD brain surgery. It's not guaranteed but it may stop the excruciating episodes and allow me to eat again. This brings me to the reason I'm posting. Earlier today I read something that is actually quite uplifting (not like my ranting)!A family whose child has TN (and has had two MVD brain surgeries) travels all over the world by plane! It's a wonderfully inspiring webpage-blog.....whatever you call it....that could maybe get people back in the air. For me, I'm scared to death but I'm still healing and getting twinges and baby (6 on the pain scale) shocks. Her page is called WanderToes. and the girls name is Megan. I hope everyone reads it. Sincerely, Laura

• Posted

Hi everyone

just googled TM and flying and found you.I flew last July with some twinges in a lower left side tooth.I flew a month later with a few more twinges.I thought it was a bad tooth so took some painkillers for the flight home.Got the twinges while getting up to cruising altitude then suddenly I felt like I had been stabbed down my tooth with a red hot poker...and it went on and on torturing me.I was shouting,sweating, writhing in my seat,generally begging the cabin crew to land the plane and making an exhibition of myself.My partner bought me 3 double brandies and I took any pai nkillers i was offered by other sympathetic passeengers.I begged for some ice from neighbouring drinks.After 15 or so mins the pain subsided a little and had gone by the time we landed.

this was a year ago.My teeth were and are sound.I still have flashbacks and are having TFT and hypnotherapy to try and get over it.I now get twinges and a kind of sensation that is just below pain but live with the fear it might happen again.

I havent been diagnosed with TN but as my teeth ate fine I dont know what else it voild be.I cannot envisage ever risking another flight.My sympathies are with anyone who has had an experience like this

• Posted

Hi Betty,

I have had confirmed TN for 7 years but had had dental problems for about 5 years previously. My dentist could not find any reason for my tooth aches and eventually suggested it could be TN, then 7 years ago I had the really awful electric pain. I have not flown since, my TN is always worse with weather changes especially when there is low pressure - 1000 or lower because of this and the air pressure in planes I feel I cannot risk flying. I also have MS.

We have just become used to only driving everywhere. We live in England and 1 of our sons lives in Germany, we always take a ferry and drive.

I have had Gammer Knife surgery, which has helped but I am told it won't last forever. I am so frightened of it coming back, mine was so bad it lasted for days and I would end up in hospital dehydrated because I could not drink anything.

I hope this is of use for you and I wish you the very best of good luck with this appalling condition. My love and thoughts for you.

Sally

• Posted

Thanks Sally. My TN is not at your stage yet as things have improved with the medication I have. I have been able to fly again but increase the dose that I take, the day before flying. Every flight I take makes me very anxious in case it happens again. life just now is fine with the TN but I am always aware that any twinge in my mouth could be it getting worse which I am sure will happen eventually. I Hope you stay stable and if it came to taking ferries etc I certainly would do in the future too. Good luck x

• Posted

I also have recently have flown and my TRIGEMINAL Neuralgia has been reactivated. It's painful and very limiting. i have had two brain surgeries to help fix this problem and the last one was successful. i have been shock free for 3 years until my recent flight and then the shocks began again. It is more then upsetting. i have shocks while eating my meals, brushing my teeth, they wake me up while sleeping, they are painful. I am hoping and praying these shocks are temporary.

• Posted

hi valerie28582

I am really sorry to hear your story. it must be devastating for you. My TN is nowhere near as severe as yours and I am able to fly pain free to date. Although I am fine with increasing one of my tablets before the flight, I am a nervous wreck until I land. That is my big fear for the shocks to return, especially on a plane when there is nothing you can do until you lands. I havent been on a longhaul flight and im apprehensive about that. I hope and pray that this is a temporary thing for you and your condition settles quickly. Its such a debilitating condition with so many aspects of your life that are affected. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and others who are affected by this condition.

• Posted

good luck i recently travelled from melbourne australia to the US, costa rica and colombia. then to Thailand for work. 11 flights and not a single episode. I think i was lucky and i also took a low dose of lyrica in the days leading up to my flights. I dont expect ill never experience it again, but here's hoping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.