FML eye drop overuse

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having eye allergy for the past 2 years. I went to an ophthalmologist and she prescribed me with FML eye drop and a lubricant. Not knowing the severe side effects of FML eye drop, I used it about 4-5 months, one drop daily. One day, my right eye got really red and after a visit to the ophthalmologist, she warned that the drop is only to be used short term and if otherwise it could lead to blindness. However, I have got my eye pressure checked and it was normal. I have stopped using the drop since August 2017 and my eye pressure seems normal. However Im still worried whether my overuse of the eye drop could lead to eye problems in the future. Im also skeptical about my current vision as sometimes I see floaters under bright sun. Im not sure whether this existed before but Im current really concious about my eye and the doctor seems to be dismissal about my situation. Im really worried. Please help.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/medicine/fluorometholone-eye-drops-for-inflammation-fml

Have you read this leaflet about FML?  It is a mild steroid eye drop & one drop a day is unlikely to cause many problems.  They do have preservatives in them & the preservative can cause problems.  

Long term problems are cataracts but if you have stopped using them & only used a low dosage, you are unlikely to develop a cataract because of the drops.

Are you in the UK?

• Posted

thank you for your answer. it is such a relief. however every website that i visit says that using fml for more than 10 days could lead to glaucoma. this worries me a lot. please advice. as a side note, i am not from the UK.
    • Posted

https://patient.info/health/chronic-open-angle-glaucoma

There is this leaflet on glaucoma which might help you.

First of all, don't worry!  I have been using much stronger steroid drops than you, for around 35 years & I have only had secondary glaucoma [ie caused by steroid drops] once & had to use drops for about 6 months.

The steroid drops did cause a cataract eventually but, I had used more drops than you talk about.  I still have to use a 'maintenance' drop in that eye, which sometimes I have to increase but, my pressures are checked regularly.  My Ophthalmologist told me that every 6 months was ok for me.

The one thing that I would suggest to you, is to only use preservative free drops because the preservatives cause a lot of problems if you use them long term - more than 3 months for example.

• Posted

https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/condition/glaucoma

I know you are not from the UK but this hospital is a world famous eye hospital in London & you can trust what they say & there is a lot of very helpful information there.  It is also possible to translate the information into various different languages, which may also be of use to you.

Good luck.

• Posted

thank you for the assurance. im a bit relieved now. i think doctors should inform us well about the side effects of the drops. i wish u a complete recovery.
  • Posted

In case you suffer from Glaucoma, its first remedy are the suitable eye drops. Mostly, one has to use many drops one by one  or combination of more than one to reach at the drops suitable for him. All such eye drops for Glaucoma have serious/ formidable side effects as evident from their brochures and yet these are to be used for life time. I have been using eye drops for my early Glaucoma since Oct, 2015. Except for a few initial months, I continue to use Travatan once a day and Azopt twice a day with no problem so far. 

I am not familiar with the eye drops  FML being used by you. May be you have some different eye problem or this particular eye drop may be no more suitable for you but in such cases, the Docs do prescribe some other suitable eye drops. I wish you to get well soon.

I would be interested to read the views of others regarding the duration for which Glaucoma eye drops are to be used. As I know these are to be used for life time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.