FMS Recognised as a Disability

Posted , 7 users are following.

I read somewhere that FMS was recognised by Parliament earlier this year as a disability. I would be interested to learn of anyone's experiences with their application for benefits, or a blue badge, and whether this recognition has translated into a more supportive system. I am not planning to apply for PIP, as I am still able to work full time and earn a reasonable salary, but it would be very helpful to me to have a blue-badge, as I often drive to minimise the pain of my FMS, arthritis and plantar fasciitis.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi sue

i have successfully been awarded the full PIP after a 2 of only care. i too was working full time and managed go be awarded it, i have now reduced my hours down. its something we are all entitled too. regardless of our jobs.

i also got my blue badge after i got my PiP.

u should have a think of it all

• Posted

Thanks smc for your response, although I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say 'the full PIP after a 2 of only care'. Is there a typo in there?

• Posted

the full award sorry, which is care and mobility.

before that i only had the standard care.

it has made things alot easier as i use alternative Therapies such as massage, reiki

• Posted

Thank you smc, I shall think about it. I don't know why I'm so nervous about applying. I think it's because I hear about so many sufferers being rejected. On my good days I can manage my pain and can stay quite mobile (but never pain free). I had a recent episode that was so bad that I cried for most of the night and managed less than an hour of sleep, and then had to go to work. It was excruciating. Thankfully I have a very understanding colleague to support me.

• Posted

Hi

please could you help. I don"t know much about pip, but I didn't realize you could apply whilst working. I desperately need to reduce my hours at wrk but cannot afford to do so. Please could you offer me any advise on how to apply please. Do they not see that you wrk and assess you accordingly? i.e you are working so therefore you are able? Thank you

• Posted

I too felt that way when applying for disability here in the states. I was doubtful I'd get because it seems like Social Security disability rejects your request, which in my case they did. I appealed it and they declined again. So I hired a disability attorney and won the case. I haven't been able to work for almost 4 years so I really needed the disability. From the time I first applied to the day the judge granted me the disability, it was 1 1/2 years, but so worrh it.

• Posted

hi debbie,

firstly i would advise you to make a appointment a citizens advice or disability form type of thing. here in north of ireland we have them not sure were u are or if england has them.

so as i said u can work while calming PIP as u could with DLA.

with PIP u also them get a extra payment with working tax credits also (that i get) hence another reason i could reduce my hours.

my calm was bit challenging as my first Application as I was one of the 1st to apply for PIP here in NI

First time round I was awarded standard care with zero points with mobility As I said that I was able to get a bus or a taxi or a family member to bring you places.

I should also add that when I had this I also had a broken leg which happened due to the fibro

Thankfully my review after a 2 years I was given the full award of high rate of mobility and high rate care xx

• Posted

Thank you for your help. I will make app with citizens advice. It's a start so fingers crossed. It's so difficult some days to work. I work for NHS . No care or compassion towards staff though.

• Posted

no way! me too lol

and thats the worse bit . i ended up going private because with our so called "Government" here in NI were not Setting for the last three years things have just got worse here.

There is also a mass strike action going on here also so its crazy as always here

• Edited

hi sue were do i start !well 20 years ago i got stabbed in my back thigh hip and bottom (sciatica nerve compltely severed

and my popiteal artery severed ) i was secoconds from losing my leg and life but left with loads of disabling damage

i had motibilty for 20 years due to left side of me weak and wasting dropfoot peripheral nueropathy ect

i have deteriated alot the last few years and i always had high mobility and low care

my dr and children said i should put claim in for high as i have has fibromalagia,chronic sinusutis,dismobilty of the throat ,glaucoma (my natural lens removed) ,carpul tunnel op that did not work ,diveculotis bowel condition,cervical spodilitus , sever spinal stenosis, bursitiship,peripher nuropathy ,my toes straighted from claws,dropfoot TREDLEBURG GAIT ; Positive romsberg , morten nuroma,muscle waste on leg leg and foot by over a inch , a whole load of other thing that go with the fibromalagia (i still dont understand it )

am

nd to top it all post traumatic shock, and mental health condition mixed anxioty and depression (f412)

on march last year they took my mobility away to standard and care stayed standqrd from low

i have appealed and the bench rejected my claim and it stayed the same now it has to go to upper tier

i cant begin to tell anyone reding this how mentaly traumatic it has been the C A B contacted aoeal people im done with them they actually left me suicidle and mentaly i have no faith or trust in system

PLEASE ANYONE WHO IS CLAIMING FOR PIP AR APPEALING

GET THE BEST HELP AND REPORTS THAT YOU CAN DONT LET THEM DO WHAT THEYVE DONE TO ME AND OTHER

AND NOW I NEED TO REST

WHAT A JOKE!

GOODLUCK EVERYONE MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU ALL

il let you know what the upper tier appeal says

sandra

• Edited

pip closed my case during covid period i had to put fresh claim in ! i was awarded enhanced care standard mobility !

how can it be i had mobility to get around after years of help and to this day im still fighting to get it awarded back absolutliy exausted with system

cheers for help making my life harder than it was before pip! im post 7 weeks spine surgery and more or less bedridden and awaiting neck surgery ...

be safe everyone goodluck god bless sandra

• Posted

I have had so many battles trying to get disability over the years I first got it in 1986 following a accident at work but didnt get diagnosed till 1996. yes you can get pip but you will have to go through the process, no doubt you will get turned down but stick with it and take it to tribunal where you will be reward it and get back pay to.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. Still waiting for the forms to arrive x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.