Foamy urine about 6 months ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

I diabetic I take about 1000 mg of Metformin in the morning and at bed time .  I started about 60 months eating a lot of bean, chili, kidney beans, garbanzo beans as meat replacement. I have read that beans are best for diabetics because they turn into sugar a lot slow than other carbs.  The only  thing is my sugar was higher, 145, 165 , 180, sometimes 190 in the morning. I did eat a lot of beans, Is this bad?   My endocrinologist w.anted me to eat 15 grams of carbs per meal.  That is tough .  I changed insurance and had to go on at HMO.  I has surgery about 6-7 months ago gallbladder had to be taken out due to stones.   They did all kind of tests and no one said anything to me to me about my blood sugar.   Also , I was in to see my doctor about 3-4 GP and they did a blood test , they said if there is a problem they will call me.   Well they didn't call.  I have to say I am addicted to diet soda, also, I have not drank much water at all.  I realize I am way behind on drinking water, I even got constipated recently, I started drinking water again.   My urine was not foamy,  a drank  a lot diet soda yesterday at Golden Corral.  Are we saying that not having enough our urine become foamy?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there are lots of things that can make urine foamy... fast stream..flow, different foods etc and believe or not the detergent we use in the loo.

If your GP didnt call you tgat is a sign all is ok.

All the best.

• Posted

I am 68.  I can honestly say I never even paid attention my entire life how foamy or not my urine was.  Then in July my kidney was removed.  I immediately notice the urine became very foamy.   All day, every time.  My doctors test my urine regularly, and my blood too of course.  I even have urine test strips at home to test it on occasion at least once a week (particularly looking for any protein in the urine, which causes foam).  Luckily so far my urine tests show nothing.  Why the foamy urine??  They just say not to pay attention, this is the new me.  It obviously has something to do with the kidney.  But it may too be from the introduction of the medication Flomax.  This makes urination more forceful and the force will increase foam.  You can check if it is force related by no urinating directly into the water, and see if you still generate foam. Recently I have been consuming large amounts of water.  My urine is practically clear, not yellow, due to hydration.  The foam remains.  The water has no influence on it.  Sometimes it is a LOT, sometimes not a lot but certainly considerable. I just have grown to accept it.  It worries me a little.  But since the doctors do not worry.  Since my urine and blood tests show nothing alarming, I don't stress about it.  My kidney doctor had me eliminate diet soda.  There is phosphoric acid in diet soda and this is back for the kidney.

• Posted

Korizzono,

First, I, too, have Type II diabetes. Fortunately I've been able to control mine with diet and exercise only. I say fortunately as I was initially put on Metformin too. I had A LOT of difficulty with that medication. For me, it caused lots of severe diarrhea. That led to very low blood pressure as well as frequent, sudden plummeting BP. Thankfully I was pulled off Metformin in August of 2013. My A1C has been consistently in the normal range ever since, ranging from 4.9-5.2. And this is without medication support.

I, too, had a gall bladder surgery in July of 2011.  And throughout that time period my labs looked pretty good, i.e., my renal function was normal.

But I would encourage you to get copies of all your lab results. Unfortunately, for me, I saw a primary care physician for 10 1/2 years who lost his license and his practice about 6 months after I moved to my current job. In short, he apparently had a problem with substance abuse. It had been ongoing for quite some time. Anyway, in my case blood was drawn following each of my bi-annual appointments with this "physician" but was, apparently not sent to the lab for analysis. (And, no, I have no idea what they did with the blood or why they didn't send it out for analysis.) I would receive a call from them a few days later saying that my labs were back (which was, if vourse, a lie) and that everything was fine. I took them st their word and went on about my job.

Of course, it was during this 10 1/2 year time period that I developed Type II diabetes. It was found during an eye exam where my optometrist found retinopathy. Of course that was quite a shock.

Anyway, my point is that we should each take a very active role in our medical care. That includes getting copies of our lab data and tracking it. While the medical negligence, malpractice and legal fraud I experienced is rare, doctors are human. Mistakes are made. So, we need to be actively engaged in our medical care. We're part of our medical team.

I'm sure your labs are very likely fine--but you can KNOW that they are fine by getting a copy sent directly to you from the lab.

Marj

• Posted

I should probably have mentioned that it took me three months to pull my A1C into the normal range after they found the retinopathy. It has been in the normal range ever since. Nevertheless, my renal function has still deteriorated. I have chronic kidney disease, Stage IV at this point with creatinine 2.75 and eGFR 18. So even with my A1C completely in check my renal function has deteriorated.

But this certainly doesn't happen to everyone. I have CKD in my family medical history too. My father had BP-related CKD and was eventually on in-home hemodialysis. My nephrologist has indicated that they do see an increased occurrence of CKD in persons with an immediate family member who had CKD. 

Marj

• Posted

Get a hard copy of your last labs taken. Just walk in there and ask for it. Look them up on the internet if you don't understand what they mean. Better than just wondering if you have an additional medical problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.