Fobbed off and made to feel like a waste of their time

Posted , 6 users are following.

Background: hubby was eating well but losing weight unexpectedly so sent for bloods, MRI, xrays and gastroendoscopy. MRI, bloods and xray came back with nothing.

Since the endoscopy(5th DEc 17) when he was diagnosed with Barrett's and a hiatus hernia, he has had no appetite, what little food he takes in he vomits back, has awful pain in bowels and joints, He is not sleeping, is weak to the point that he has only left is bed a matter of a handful of times in the last few weeks ashe feels so poorly - he is fading in front of me

I have taken him to the GP who doubled his dose of PPI and referred him for a colonoscopy.

We saw the consultant 2 days ago who said biopsy showed no dysplasia and he sees no reason for  a) the pain b) the vomiting and for hubby to go home and eat or he will die! He said he will refer him to a nutritionist, 

I am at my wits end and hubby hasn't got an ounce of fight left in him - I going to ask for an appointment to see his GP to discuss what can be done - I feel like I'm losing him and nobody cares

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

don't be hopeless, follow doctor 's advice, everything will be ok.Give him support, i think he is too much tensed about barrett's & his current situation..

• Posted

You've been working so hard to help your husband and to keep running into roadblocks has to be discouraging.  Has he had a complete physical?  It might be something unrelated to Barrett's.  Examining him head to foot might give you answers.  You are a great advocate!

• Posted

That should not be happening because of the hiatal hernia and especially not because of Barrett's. If it is from the Hiatal hernia then it's acute and he should get better once on PPIs (proton pump inhibitors).

If he doesn't get better then he might go for an abdominal ultrasound to check is pancreas, gallbladder and other related organs.

• Posted

I agree that this may not have anything to do with Barrett's.  It could be a multitude of things and taking PPI's may help but not be the complete answer.  You may have to raise a ruckus to get them to take this more seriously.  

• Edited

I've been thinking about you and your husband and hope he is doing better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.