Focal Laser Ablation for BPH treatment

Posted , 14 users are following.

After reviewing the different procedures I am inclining for the FLA to treat my problem with BPH. Do any men have experiences to share, as for the surgery itself and the recovery thereafter? Thanks to all!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

emil

I just had FLA for BPH in Houston on April the 6th (19 days ago) by Dr K.  The procedure was a breeze, with no pain or side affects.  Because I was on blood pressure meds prior to and you have to stop takeing them about a week before, I came into the procedure with elevated blood pressure and my blood oxygen levels were just a little low, so Dr K did not put me under totally.  I was basically awake for the whole procedure.  Also, my prostate was very large, 176cc or ml.  So I was in the MRI scanner for over 3 hours.  It all seemed to go very quickly, considering the time involved.  No pain during or after the procedure.  Dr K and his assistant, Samantha are excellent.  These people are unlike no others, they really care.  I have talked to Dr K for sometimes 2 hours on the phone.  I have been in touch with him every couple of days, either by phone, email or texting.  You have a catherter in you for the 1st week, then if everything is OK, you can remove the cath.  There will be some blood in your urine for awhile, Just where a Depends pad in your underwear till it disappears,  I still have some so I continue to wear one, just so you don't wreck your underwear.  There are other forums on this website where there are patients of FLA or ones that are considering having it done.  

Right now I only know of 2 IR's that do this procedure.  Dr Spir   g in New Your / Florida and Dr Kara----ian in Houston.  I was in touch with both and with Dr Kara----ian, I got to talk to his patients and the doctor and his assistant almost anytime I called.  With Dr Speri---ng, I never talked to him, only his assistant, who was nice, but I never talked to any of his  patients.  He claims to have done over a 100 of the procedures.  There is suppose to be one of his patients on this site, but no one that I know of has ever talked to a single patient of his.  I have been in touch on this website with at least 4 of Dr K patients.  That is all it took for me to make my mind up.  I live in Michigan and had my preliminary 3T-MRI scan done at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor.  They were real nice and my insurance paid for it after Dr K wrote a script for me to have it done.  They put the 1 hour scan on a DVD, then the next day had a doctor review the scan.  They made up a report of their findings and they gave me a disc and a copy of the report as well as sending a copy of the same thing to Dr K in Houston.  

If you want to know more, you can PM me so that the post will not get deleted.  

Mike 

• Posted

I'm surprised Dr K took you off BP meds. If I did the my BP would be pretty high

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.