Focal Laser Ablation / Prostate Cyst - New Member Dr K Club

Posted , 23 users are following.

Add me to the Dr K Club. Yesterday Dr Karamanian with his professional nurse assistant Samantha (Prostate Laser Center Houston TX) used FLA (Focal Laser Ablation) to help me with my problem. I'm resting comfortably in my Houston hotel room as I type this. I discovered FLA and Dr. K on this forum while researching early in the year and wanted to give back by posting my experience.

Quick symptom background- weak stream ever since I can remember, worsened some over the past few years along with nocturia (2-4 times per night). I was scoped 20 years ago, found nothing and went on to Alfuzosin. Scoped again 10 years ago, "bladder neck obstruction", still small prostate (30 grams), mild BPH.

Fast forward to beginning 2017 when I once again undertook my every 5-10 years review of what's new in treating prostates. Wow, lots of new stuff. PAE immediately caught my eye, Tried to get into the Stanford PAE trial of Dr. Gill but did not meet criteria (too small prostate). As it turns out this was a blessing in disguise! During my TRUS there they made no comment about my prostate other than small.

I followed up on another procedure that caught my eye, FLA, and contacted Dr Karamanian. He arranged for a 3T MRI where I live (1500 miles from Houston). The MRI results were stunning to me as #1 there was a cyst right at my bladder neck and the top of the prostate. Well hell that would explain my symptoms eh? And the only way I could have ever known it was there was by having the MRI! (or a skilled ultrasound operator seeing it) #2 Secondarily, there was an area of my prostate that looked very suspicious (possible tumor).

Dr K reviewed the local MRI scans that I uploaded to his website (easy, convenient, quick) and suggested I have a TRUS biopsy to identify if the suspicious area was malignant before we went any further. This I did locally, and thankfully all 14 biopsy cores were normal. Just looked bad on MRI and this happens not infrequently.

With this out of the way I scheduled my appointment with Dr K to have the cyst and some prostate tissue ablated. First attempt to get down there was thwarted by the monster hurricane a few week ago that flooded Houston. I rescheduled everything and got the FLA done yesterday.

Everything you've read about working with Dr K is true, he is a skilled, innovative, caring, accessible interventional radiologist, and his nurse Samantha is a jewel by any measure. My procedure yesterday went off with no complications and thanks to the very nice people doing it, I had nearly no anxiety.

I won't know initial results until next week when I remove the Foley catheter, and of course the full results for another 6-8 weeks after all the swelling and ablated tissue is absorbed. But I have a lot of confidence in a great result, and even if for some bizarre reason I don't, I've not caused irreversible damage/side effects, as FLA (skillfully done!) apparently has none (RE, incontinence, impotence, etc).

The lessons to pass on here to other readers are:

1. Get a 3T MRI before you do ANY procedures on your prostate, otherwise you don't really know what the hell is going on! Ignorance is not bliss. If not 3T at LEAST have a TRUS (trans rectal ultrasound) done by an operator who knows prostates!

2. FLA for BPH and other amenable problems like cysts/tumors is a compelling value proposition. When FLA is done by a skilled and competent practitioner it has an extremely favorable risk profile. I would suggest FLA is a very technical procedure requiring both art and skill, far more so for example than jamming a tool into your urethra to staple the prostate walls back. I could see where FLA outcome would be very dependent upon who is doing it!

3. Everything you read about Dr Karamanian is true, he's an awesome human being and he has a gift for what he does. That is a rare combination and "we" are very lucky to have him out there working his magic. He took all the time needed at every point of the process.

Not sure yet if insurance will pay for it, I filed for a pre-authorization and they approved it, so looks good for reimbursement. Dr K does not file or take insurance and you will have to pay him upfront which is what I gladly did. If insurance does not pay it's still the best money I'll ever spend.

We all have our individually unique physical challenges, after 40 years I think I finally found the fix for mine, and I wish only the best for anyone suffering who reads this.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

After 4 1/2 years on active surveillance, my G6 has progressed to a point where it needs attention. Additionally, I  will have extra tissue ablated to help with LUTS which I've dealt with for 10+ years. I am scheduled for FLA in early December and looking for hotel, restaurant and other recommendations in the downtown Houston area during our stay.

• Posted

As you already know, you are in good hands. Purely for the sake of convenience, I stayed at Marriott downtown, it's a block from Dr K office. Plan to take it easy after procedure. It IS surgery. I waited 3 weeks to even go hiking.  All the best!

• Posted

Thanks Pete, one benefit to this time of year is I will be busy with holiday stuff and can take it easy (physically) - heading out for a hike shortly today. One of the benefits of living in the N. Ga foothills.
    • Posted

-also, how long did you stay in Houston post procedure? He told me 3 nights, 4 days, coming in the day before for consult and expect 6 days with catheter. Consult is on a Monday, procedure Tues and planning to book return flight on Thurs.  Since you lived 1500 miles away did you drive or fly?
    • Posted

Lovely area, lucky you. Keep us updated here how things go after your procedure. Only side effects for most are bit of blood at start of urination and in ejaculate for some weeks afterward. Some odd sensations (urgency for example) for a couple weeks after catheter comes out. Compared to some horror posts I read for other procedures a relative breeze!

Oh, PS, bring fiber cereal to eat while catheter is in, you don't want to be "pushing" while catheter is in! Very uncomfortable. One of the little things to ease the recovery! Also, if you are in a rough riding vehicle, like a pick up truck, use a seat donut. You might be ok without one in a car, depends on the seat and ride firmness.

• Posted

I had procedure Thurs and flew (direct flight) Sun AM for approx 4 hours. I paid the couple hundred more for a big soft first class seat and I was perfectly comfortable with no donut. I got up one time to empty leg bag, no problem at all. I also took advantage of wheelchair transport in airport- awesome! Be sure you test the geometry of catheter tube with bended knee (sitting position, and be sure tube it is oriented on inner side of leg, so as to insure it does not loop over knee when you bend and PULL! Another little detail :-)

If driving, you MUST use a donut or the catheter in the perineum area will quickly hurt from rubbing!

I will also say that 6 days is relatively soon, and I definitely was concerned the first couple days I may not be able to void. The stream was very weak (prostate is swollen, of course!). All was well however. Dr K will advise you for your specific situation.

When catheter comes out, you will have urinary urgency! Be prepared for that the first few days and plan to be close to a toilet! It abates day by day.

• Posted

Ok, 6 week post-op update. Progress continues, no negatives, I stopped taking my alfusozin (Uroxatral) yesterday which I've been on for 20 years. So far so good even with 2x daily coffee and spicy foods. Strong flow, next to no dribble afterwards.

It's possible things can still get better over the next 1-2 weeks.

No point in weekly updates any more. Anyone who may want to reach out to me via messaging on this forum is welcome to do so. I discovered FLA from the posters here that came before me and I thank you so much for taking your treatment public! Because of you my life is changed so much for the better. Focal Laser Ablation with Dr Karamanian was the only choice for me, could not be happier. Amazing, very special doctor, so thankful he was there with his skill and care.

Parting comments: Take control of your own health! Get imaged! Invest in yourself. F*ck the insurance companies, and gawd forbid, government healhcare!

• Posted

The NHS in UK is brilliant, but like private ins it doesn't cover everything that's 'experimental' but then I did get PAE recently at no cost - at all. I know mothers that come over from the US to give birth (for free!). What's not to like!

Hopefully FLA is on it's way, which sounds as if it's the business but might have to go to the US & spend the 20K.

• Posted

Thanks for the update Pete, good to hear. If I did not have a prior commitment tomorrow, I would have been in Houston yesterday having my FLA.  I'm looking forward to December and an early Christmas present. (I've been practicing 'All i want for Christmas is a FLA'.... my wife thinks I've lost my mind! )

• Posted

Dear Pete, be so kind and let me know your  experience  after 5 months  .  Im  patient for many years, situation is  worsen a lot.   Many thanks ,  Stan
    • Posted

Stan, I'm not sure if this is meant for me as there are a few Petes here. I had FLA in Houston in July and the eternal nightmare of BPH is now just a memory. I would urge you to get treated before your bladder or kidneys suffer any further the treatment works.

Good luck

Pete Kline

• Posted

Does anyone know of any interventional radiologists doing FLA  in the UK?

They are doing PAE & you can also get this on The NHS (no cost), but can't see or hear anything about FLA in the UK.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter.

• Posted

Follow-up report: 5.5 months, 167 days post-op. 

Doing great!

Figured I'd update my data point since there has been more FLA activity on the forums.

Wife and I travel frequently, It is so nice to have no constant concerns (as I did previously) about going to pee before I do anything. Also nice to spend so little time at the urinal when I do go :-)  

Very glad I researched and decided on FLA vs rezum/urolift/PAE. Dr. Karamanian For The Win.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.