Focus of pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey, I'm pretty new to this IBS thing. I'm still not 100% certain that I have it as I have not yet ruled everything else out, so I was wondering how people who have it feel their pain and discomfort. For me, sometimes it's more in the stomach area, and other times it's in the abdominal region, or the back on very rare occasions. Does anybody else sort of switch back and forth between main focuses of pain/discomfort?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

IBS pain typically moves about all over your abdomen.  Has your diagnosed IBS? If you have had an official diagnosis of IBS, trust your doctor and accept your IBS.  Diagnosis acceptance will help you to deal with your symptoms.  When you are new to IBS, you will have many questions,doubts and anxiety that you have something else.  Anxiety makes IBS much worse.  Try distraction techniques such as a hobby or light exercise to take your mind off your symptoms..  Lack of anxiety will reduce your flare ups.
    • Posted

I have not been formally diagnosed, no. But almost all my symptoms line up and I've had all of them for upwards of four months, so it seems the most logical conclusion. I've had a lot of tests that have come back normal so I can rule out a lot of more serious issues, and at the end of the month I'll have a solid diagnosis if all goes well. It's definitely been an anxiety-inducing process but hopefully it'll get better soon, because my anxiety does definitely make my symptoms worse.

• Posted

Getting an IBS diagnosis can be very difficult and draining because it takes so long.  It took me three and a half months and eight visits to several doctors to get diagnosed along with lots of negative tests.  In the end, I had severe health anxiety, panic and despair and all the while, my symptoms got worse. Hope you get answers soon.
  • Posted

Yes, I do.  I am having a severe attack since Thursday night.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a stomach ache and the urge to have a movement.  Then I had abdominal pain and my bowel movements  were slight so I am in constipation mode.  Along with this, I have very sudden dry heaves.  I do suffer with stomach aches that feel like someone punched me out.  It's a horrible condition to deal with. And to add, this really all affects my back so in addition, I have terrible back pain. 

• Posted

Yes my pain moves about.

Have you had an official IBS diagnosis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.