Fodmap diet

Posted , 32 users are following.

After having IBS for 16 years, I was recently told by my dietitian about a Fodmap diet. I have been very strict and can honestly say I have had no symptoms. I can not believe the difference in my body.

5 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi just wondering whether you find it difficult to go out and follow this diet?? This is my main concern on st5arting this strict diet and going out with friends etc...
  • Posted

Also is it possible to eat healthy on a fodmap diet too??
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I find it really difficult to eat out. The healthy option normally involves hidden ingredients like a dressing or a soup with onions in.

• Posted

I have found eating out is very limiting and frustrating. I am making it my quest to find good places to eat at, in Hull. I have even started commenting on trip adviser whether a restaurant has Gluten options available to help others. I have found family members very accommodating. Even my children are on the lookout for meals for me.
    • Posted

I dont think it is easy to eat healthy  on a FOFMAP diet  REMEMBER the diet is meant to be transitional.   You are supposed to be on the strict diet for 8 top 12 weeks and then if you are feeling better you very carefully reintroduce foods from all the four groups to find out how to expand your diet to suit your body.

I have found this part difficult but apparently most people can find other foods to add to the basic diet and make it healthier.

It is good to have a dieticien help with the reintroduction ophase because many foods contain more than one of the foods you are avoiding so if you reintroduce one of those foods you might be confused about which FODMAP is affecting you.    When reintroducing foods it is both the type of food and the quantity that matter.   You might be able to handle a slice of Avocado but not a half avocado for example.   Expert help advisable.

Good Luck Graham

• Posted

Hi, I know what you mean I have problems finding foods to eat eating out or in because I have ilestomy stoma and crohns. It's not easy to find food to eat and miss certain foods I like but can't eat now.
  • Edited

Hi everyone.

I have been advised by my GP to follow the FODMAP Diet for constant abdominal pain.  I started on it last Friday (31st July) and am already pain free.  Today was my first day out since the 11th July because I was in constant abdominal pain.  I was even out in the garden yesterday mowing, strimming and digging and my Partner was amazed at the transformation.

I have found plenty of Wheat free and Lactose free foods although prices are very expensive.  I have yet to eat out though and am dreading it to be honest especially, with my sweet tooth, seeing others with their desserts.

Even though coffee is on the Low FODMAPs, I have found my belly became very bloated today.  One person asked me if I was pregnant and another asked if I had put on weight referring to my belly.  Has anyone else found this?  I do take sugar in my coffee but have it black.  I have no pain though.

• Posted

Glad to hear it, Mary!

Some foods that are on the low list still set me off, cucumber for one. Already, you know just how 'transformative' (I love your choice of word because it is so true!) cutting out some of those foods that have an impact so it might be worth trying decaf.

Fodmap doesn't work for everybody, but it's great when you can shout about the difference it makes when it does work.

• Posted

Thank you for the advise Missjosefina.  I shall put decaf on my shopping list and ask for it when I am out.

In a matter of days, I defo feel like I have more energy and lighter in body and mind (if that makes sense).

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been on the FODMAP Diet?

• Edited

Proper Greek Yoghurt is very low on lactose. I use it instead of cream, e.g. with strawberries with no problems. Also frozen yoghurt seems to be OK, to substitute for ice cream.

I'm not that intolerant to Wheat (Rye and Barley are another matter), so these might not work for you, but try bread made with Spelt if you can get it or make it; also Sourdough bread is supposed to be better than normal.

• Posted

Have any of you weight loss symptom?
    • Posted

I've lost weight since I went on the diet. One big reason seems to be that I eat a lot less fruit, due to stoned fruits being inveterate triggers. Having gone into diet in more detail I now realise just how much sugar fruit has. Then I've cut out cream and honey, I generally drink less, have rice krispies for breakfast, etc. I'm surprised that everyone doesn't lose weight.
    • Posted

I have lost weight in the last month of being on the formal diet but only 1.5kgs. i dont need to loose any weight as I am 49.4kg now. Before fodmap, I previously ate lots of foods on the high fodmap list. Fruit was my main problem.

I have found that the diet requires lots of planning, meal plans and shopping lists. It is hard but not impossible to eat out. Tiredness has been a problem for me but I have put myself on a vitamin B complex and have felt better in the last few days.

• Posted

Thanks...

when you make your food map its just a simple list yes/no or is there any soft/app ? Thank you.

• Posted

Both can be found on the Monash University website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.