Fodmap diet help needed, is this normal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My and my boyfriend who also suffers with ibs have recently started the low fodmap diet to try and help with symptoms this is our 4th day doing the diet but so far we are both suffering wth diahorrea,bloating and stomach cramps, my stomach constantly keeps growling, is this normal just while our body adjusts or should we stop?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Give Fodmap a week.  However, if you are still feeling worse than before after this period, stop the diet. It may not suit you; some people don't respond to it well.  You could also see your doctor again to say that it is not working and see the dietician as well to check that there is nothing else you should be doing.

However, if I found my IBS symptoms were worse than before after starting Fodmap, I would not continue with it.  It isn't worth the trouble.

• Posted

The fodmap diet shouldn't hurt. But it isn't a cure all and you are changing your diet. Think about things you are eating now that you weren't eating before.

A trigger food for me is chocolate it is low fodmap in low amounts but I can eat two bites of it and have massive pain. Another for me is eggs, I do not believe eggs is part of the fodmap diet, but eggs bother me if they contain hormones. So I get egg less mayo and watch what I eat for eggs.

The best advice I can give is start simple. If you can eat tuna fish for lunch and is doesn't bother you for three or four days in a row you can mark it on a list of things that doesn't bother you.

• Posted

I'm glad I have no IBS trigger foods because my intestines react badly to any change of diet. The smallest change can constipate me for up to a week or even two or result in diarrhoea or vomiting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.