Fodmaps and Diverticular Disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, after months of low left hand side pain I've been advised to follow a low fodmaps diet for eight weeks initially.

I wonder if anyone else has undertaken this diet, and with any success?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Never heard of it What is it ?
    • Posted

Hi Susan

It might help you as it is usually recommended for IBS sufferers.  They seem to give positive reports.  Suggest you trawl the IBS Forum.

• Posted

Lots of people on the IBS Forum follow this diet.  You might get more information looking at that Forum
    • Posted

Thank you. I'll have a look. Also thank you for all your input on this forum; it has been very informative and helpful.

• Posted

Hi nessmed and Susan

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

I Googled FODMAP and this was something that came up.  It says the FODMAP diet should only be short term - for 8 weeks.  There are lots of other articles as well.  The list of what you can't have is pretty formidable, but if it helps!  The Forum was actually less than helpful, or perhaps I just didn't find the right posts.

• Posted

Guess the moderator didn't like me posting a web address.  Suggest you google FODMAP diets and see where that takes you.

• Posted

Thanks. I have actually been put on the diet by a dietician I saw privately recently so have a lot of information on it. I know that it is often advised for  IBS sufferers but not so much for diverticular disease.

However, I'll try anything if it helps with the almost continuous LHS pain (which, strangely, often improves in the evening; no one can explain why), varying from mild to moderate.

Yes, it is very restrictive; best to concentrate on what you can eat rather than not eat. Strawberries and cream are fine, also a small amount of beer and chips although this doesn't sound very healthy! 

Variety in vegetables is the main problem; beginning to get a bit fed up with pak choi, carrots and aubergine.....

• Posted

My main has taken almost 10 months to go just about completely since a big flare last August, but I have been mostly pain free for about a month, with slowly decreasing twinges since December.  But my pain was worse after movement - bending, lifting, stretching, and in the evenings.  I took paracetemol, and had a hot water bottle.  I think the location of the diverticula might be one possible reson for the variation. 

Funnily enough I can't eat strawberries and cream, and I don't like alcohol and chips.  But I do like Ben 'n Jerry's and I can't eat that either now!

• Posted

It's comforting to know that it is not unusual to have pain for some months after the initial flare.

I don't have much faith in the low Fodmap diet helping in my case but it's psychologically helpful to feel one's doing something proactive! In the meantime, best not to sit or bend.....

Once again, many thanks for your interest and information.

• Posted

I used to love sitting in the garden with strawberries and ice cream and a can of fizzy pop can't do that now. I managed a pear and a apple last week x

• Posted

Hi Susan

Hope you took the skins off!!  I'm very restricted on the fruit I can eat, due to my pre-diabetes and hiatus hernia.  Nothing acidic like citrus fruit, and not too much because of the sugar.  So it's mainly melon, banana and blueberries, although in the summer I overload on nectarines. 

Today I've made a big pot of soup - celery, pepper, onion, potato, butterbeans, corn, veggie stock, skimmed milk, sage - which I blend after cooking then freeze.  Tonight I'm experimenting with a Slimming World chicken and veggie korma with boiled rice.  I've just discovered Skyr, the Icelandic equivalent to yogurt.  It is flavoured Quark, which is a fat free soft cheese.  A dollop of that on chopped fruit.  It doesn't seem to upset me at all, and is actually very nice.

• Posted

Yes I did take the skins off I am so afraid to go back to eating what I ate last year but I am slowly re introducing things x
  • Posted

Hi

My nutritionist gave me very detailed FODMAP sheet and I started on low but only for a couple of weeks then started adding medium FODMAP foods. I now eat most things but tend to steer clear of High FODMAP foods and have very little bloating (unless I am naughty ) and no pain x

• Posted

Many thanks. It's useful to know that avoiding high Fodmap foods has helped with your DD.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.