FODMAPs and Diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am curious as to others' experience re the role of high-FODMAP foods in DD. In treating a current flare, I discovered that many low-fiber (and thus traditionally gut-friendly) foods I had chosen to ride out my flare were in fact high FODMAPs. Once I stopped those, things calmed down considerably.

Anyone else confronting this? Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I've been on the FODMAP diet for years to help my A Fib. It did nothing to help my diverticulitis. In fact I'm scheduled for a resection May 6th.

• Posted

Interested about FODMAPs and A-fib. I have that condition, too, but never thought that FODMAPs might affect it. Please explain, Sandi.

• Posted

Ya the FODMAP diet has been amazing for my Afib. Someone on the Afib forum on this site suggested it. Especially the one from Stanford university in the US as there seems to be quite a variety of versions that are a little sketchy out there. Give it a try. It made a huge difference for me.

• Posted

Hi, i have been following the low fodmap diet since October and i

must say it has improved my symptoms drastically. I did it under the guidance of an nhs nutritionist and am currently starting to reintroduce foods one by one. Before the diet I had 10 flare ups over the year, now i have not had one since October. Feel free to ask me any questions.

• Posted

Thanks, Hilary. I guess right now I am trying to determine whether/how FODMAPs might hinder my ability to manage my DD without antibiotics. Not that I am anti-drug or anything; just that I react so badly to the usual American pairing of Cipro and Flagyl. Left me feeling worse than ever in my life.

• Posted

Hi

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is FODMAP?

I will now google it, but so often find that hearing someone's personal experience can be more beneficial than simply reading a paper on the subject.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Patsy x

• Posted

Hi again

Please ignore my post a few minutes asking what Fodmaps are. I have just googled it and see it is the diet I am already following, I just did not know the Fodmap term .

Regards

Patsy x

• Posted

NP, UPATSY. But there is probably a function herein to allow you to remove/edit your posts. Maybe one of our senior members might have an idea?

• Posted

I had my first flare-up of diverticulitis just over a month ago and I vowed to NEVER experience it again. The crippling gut pain, the bloating and constipation, along with the week from hell taking both cipro and flagyl have left me very determined. Discovered fodmap while in crisis and have been on a low fodmap diet for about two weeks. I'm giving myself another week, maybe less, before beginning the reintroduction phase. LIke you, I have found that the diet has calmed my gut and I am enjoying a regularity I rarely see, so I think I'm on to something. Apparently it's not healthy to stay on a low fodmap diet for the long term .. I intend to reintroduce foods slowly and methodically to make sure I'm really identifying the problems. I am particularly suspicious of wheat and my aim is to severely limit intake. This has been a huge learning experience for me and I feel like it's a blessing and a challenge .. learning to eat, cook, sustain myself in a way that respects my aging body. I will let you know how it goes along the way ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.