Folate/folic acid deficiency

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies

Its me again!!!

Recently been diagnosed with a folate deficiency and put on supplements

I want to know if anyone else has had this

And could it be making my painful joints and fatigue worse than usual?

I am literally clutching at straws here but would be so encouraging to hear if any other ladies have had this

I am two years post menopause and 52. x

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am interested to know as well. I was apparently low in folate while pregnant with my last child (I was 40) when I tried to take supplements I broke out in a rash so couldn't continue. It looks like I am allergic to it. But we need it as well, so here I am today 6 years later still achy and had just put it down to peri. So am following closely.

• Posted

hi, I am 67 and well past menopause but still on HRT (since 52) I have a folate tablet once a week along with vitamin B12 sublingual daily. feel great!

• Posted

Hi Sandra

Thank you for replying

Do you remember if you had any symptoms of low folate?

my doctor has suggested HRT for me but there is no supply of patches in England!!

Doctors havent been able to get it so women have been forced to change and its nit suiting them

I am very sensitive to meds so i do need a patch and not a pill x

• Posted

I'm in peri and was also told I was low in folate but when I took more it increased my anxiety. 😦

• Posted

Hi Sakura

funny you say that

I thought mine has to but put it down to me just being anxious about anything and everything x

• Posted

can you remember your symptoms of low folate?

• Posted

GM Michelle, I have been having extreme trouble with the aches, I should say severe aches and pains as well. I do not have that folic shortage but I also have fibromyalgia so I really don’t know if it’s the Fibro and post menopause together or what. But when I get up in the morning I think how much longer can I put up with us and what can I do? I recently got a curcumin supplement that my pharmacist compounds because my friend that works there, her mother took it and swears by it. I think I spend close to $200 a month on supplements and quite honestly I’m fed up. I feel like not taking anything except for maybe a multi, D3 and my menopause supplement that he also compounds. this to me is one of the most concerning symptoms as I think how much longer will it last. I noticed once I went post menopause which was three years ago and will be four years ago in May, the end of May. I noticed that three liquid Advil gel’s no longer even touched my pain. I think because it has been unseasonably warm here the last week, it should be 25° and it’s been 60, it has flared my fibromyalgia so again I don’t know which is which. I know that if we cut out sugar, gluten, anything with additives and preservatives, fried food and alcohol it helps greatly, but what’s the point of living in that case… JK I know clean living in yoga make a big difference but when we already don’t feel motivated and our hormones are depleted there’s only so much we can do. wish I had a magic answer but I don’t ... hugs to you !

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I spoke to my doctor this morning on being referred to a rheumatologist and spoke to him about fibro as my mum has it

He said he would not refer me until i had been taking the folic acid supplement fir three months then he woukd di another blood test t see if CpR us raised

He also said its more likely menopause but if it is fibromyalgia then he would just send me to a pain clinic because there is no test for it and no specific treatments

which i already know!!!!

So i gotta wait it out

I do have to say though i have been under mega stress fir a while now with numerous things and i do believe its affected me not only mentally but physically

Praying for you

I am also just starting vut d as its winter here in ENGLAND and i do suffer more during the winter months x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.