folic acid

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have OCD with intrusive thoughts. I have finished NHS CBT therapy which did not help and will be referred gain in 6 weeks time. In the meantime I have been put on 20mg of Citalapram. Been 3 weeks but no change up to now.

I am diabetic and today was told at the check up I have a folic acid defiency and been put on Folic Acid tablets. Does anyone have experience of this defiency and did tablets help your overall condition in anyway?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am a diabetic and I also suffer with pernicious anaemia.

Some years ago I had the very same problem and needed Folic Acid tablets which did help.

• Posted

Do you have OCD or anxiety? If so did they help relieve your symptoms.

Thanks for your initial reply

• Posted

No I do not suffer with OCD, but anxiety yes.

The way it works is like this, if you feel low and unwell as a result of a difficiency, then you can expect your anxiety condition to worsten.

When steps are taken to rectify the defficiency, then your body feels better and you are therefore less likely to feel anxious.

In my case I have Diabetes and Pernicious Anaemia, which do not bode very well for someone who suffers with anxiety problems. When I started to become even more tired than usual (and my anxiety took a dive) they discovered that I also had a Folic Acid defficiency which they treated.

As that treatment started to kick-in I not only felt less tired and happier, but my anxiety became less.

• Posted

Likewise, and try not to get churned-up about things.

Your life will improve in time.

• Posted

Hi Mackem...I also have OCD with intrusive thoughts and severe Anxiety.....The Citalapram takes a while to work...I have been taking a similar med for 5 weeks and I feel a bit better but am still struggling...I was told the improvements with Anti depressants are slow so hang on in there with the meds.

I take Folic Acid.. I.was given it along with iron as I was severely Anemic....My Anxiety OCD started again with that weirdly...I was convinced I was dying and developed the Anxiety/OCD again but anyways in reply to your question the Folic Acid has made no different to my OCD/Anxiety....The only thing I feel is less dizzy.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.