Folic acid

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I had b12 levels taken Nov 2017

,( 169.)and had the 6 booster injections. Then my folate levels were found to be 3, so given folic acid tablets, but !! 3 weeks of suffering with stomachs pains,bloating(similar to my IBS) and felt queasy all day,I'd had enough, I asked on here what else could I take,someone recommended Methyl Folate, which you have to buy, so with drs permission I got 600mcg, but after a few days the same thing happened, so I am not taking any folate, 3 days after stopping I feel fine.

But I know I have to take folate to help b12 work better, so anyone out there can you help with a solution.many thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Folate is obtained naturally from green vegetables, kale, broccoli, sprouts etc... Do you eat plenty of vegetables salads and fruit? 

Usually methyl folate is easily tolerated, it maybe that having low B12 for some time has had a bad effect on your digestion. Did you have any digestive issues before treatment (injections) began? 

Sometimes when treatment begins there is a worsening of some symptoms as the healing process takes place. It may mean that you will be able to tolerate methyl folate in a few weeks? 

Best wishes

Marion 

• Posted

Hiya thanks for replying, I'm not a big veg fan, and I know I should eat more of the green stuff.

Yes I'd do have problems,had reflux for 25 years, and take omeprazole every morning, hence the reason my b12 levels were low,through non absorption, I also suffer with IBS, folate really did make it worse, I'm wondering if just taking vit b9 which is folate, would my stomachs tolerate it better,

I worked for a Dr for 17 years so I'm quite interested in anything medical, like to know the ins and outs, and since being diag with b12 deficiency, have tried to learn everything about it, I think I know more than my Dr now, 😀 thanks for sharing and caring. Patricia.

• Posted

Hi again Patricia, sorry to hear about your acid reflux, that was part of the reason my B12 was low. One question I will ask is, do you know if your thyroid function is OK? Often low B12 and thyroid problems go hand in hand, and the thyroid can cause acid reflux. Strangely, this isn’t because the acid levels are too high, but too low. Lots of thyroid patients have weaned themselves off of acid reduction medication. Unfortunately I discovered this fact much too late, and have been on lansoprazole for many years now. I also had a spasm of the oesophagus caused by the reflux, which led to an emergency admission to hospital with a suspected heart attack! Thankfully it was just the spasm, but frightening nevertheless. 

Best wishes

Marion 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.