Folic acid

Posted , 17 users are following.

people who are on Methotrexate, how often do you take folic acid please?

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa,

I take my Mtx on a Saturday and Folic Acid on a Wednesday - as recommended by my Rheumatologist at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases in Bath (UK). Hope that helps and good luck!

• Posted

The routine I follow, as instructed by my rheumatologist, is methotrexate Monday, folic acid Friday. 

While my methotrexate dose has changed over time, from 10mg orally initially, to 20mg by subcutaneous injection, my current dose.

Throughout those variations the weekly folic acid has been 5mg each Friday.  This is a nationally accepted and followed pattern in New Zealand.  

• Posted

Start taking folic acid 5mg after taking methotrexate one tab.for three days
    • Posted

Syedq51. Vanessa is asking what we take. 

Do YOU currently take methotrexate 3 days of each week?! 

I don’t know how often I have read and heard this:

NO ONE should EVER take methotrexate more often than once a week. Doses on multiple days is a seriously dangerous practice. 

I am not a health professional, but I can read and comprehend. Never take methotrexate more often than once a week, and challenge any doctor or pharmacist or prescription or medicine labelling that directs you otherwise. Seriously, this is potentially deadly. 

• Posted

I take 5mg every day except Methotrexate day. Used to take 25 mgs (same dose as my methotrexate) the day after inhectiob
  • Posted

Thank you all. I was curious as I have been on methotrexate for 11 years and take it on Saturday then 5mg folic acid on a Tuesday. My mother also on same meds was taking it 6 days a week and not on methotrexate day as told by her rheumatologist (we lived in different areas). My mum has moved closer now and changed to my rheumatologist who advised same as me just 1 day a week! We live in near Cardiff. I am off methotrexate at the mo (6weeks now) due to liver function being too high sad but still taking folic acid
  • Posted

Isn't it odd how the protocols vary? I take 10mg folic acid once per week.... the day after methotrexate day

• Posted

I take MTX on sat and folic acid on the next day at the same time 
  • Posted

I'm not taking Methotrexate now but when I did I took my Methotrexate on Sunday but I took my folic acid tablet every day.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa, I take two pills (1 mg. Each) once daily. So far the only side effect from Methotrexate is mild heartburn the day of dosage. 
  • Posted

MTX once a week. I was on 1 mg folic acid daily but increased to 5mg daily except MTX days last month? It’s made a huge difference in how well I tolerate MTX, and my energy levels are much improved. 🇨🇦

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,  I take neither now but I have read the above with interest.  I did take methotrexate ONCE a week and folic acid once a week on a different day.  Because I constantly had a mouthful of ulcers my Rheumy Pharmacist advised me to increase my folic acid up to 6 times a week except my methotrexate day.  Thought this may be of interest. Carol 
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa,  I started on 5mgs folic acid (and methotrexate) weekly January 2013 “co prescribed at a variable dose....to six days a week”. 

It was August 2014 I increased it to 6 days. I can’t remember if I did it gradually or not to be honest but it did help the mouth ulcers.  

I had to stop the methotrexate March 2017 due to lung problems and so stopped the folic acid x

• Posted

Interesting variations...

Carol - just wondering - did you get as far as the 6 days a week of Folic acid, and if so, did it alleviate the mouth ulcers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.