Folic Acid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Over the past year I have been experiencing chronic leg cramps, diarrhea, weight loss, hair loss and some other minor issues. After going for a routine blood test I was recently diagnosed with mild B12 deficiency (163) and Folate deficiency (3.4). I completed a course of 5 b12 injections at the GP and have just finished 28 days of 5mg of Folic acid. My question is has anyone experienced a return of their symptoms immediately after finishing the treatment? Within 24 hours the diarrhea and insomnia has returned as well as the leg cramps.

Thanks in advance for any response.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not familiar with this situation, sorry, but it's easy enough to keep on B12 and folate supplements at home, are you doing that?

• Posted

I should be getting enough in my diet as I eat well enough. My previous blood test at the GP 2 years ago was fine and my diet etc is the same.

• Posted

I would think that you would have to continue the injections.. my mom does it to herself ( maybe niece does it for her) but thought it was once a month.

• Posted

My intrinsic factor was checked and is fine so there is no need for ongoing injections apparently.

• Posted

My folic acid has been as low as 1.3, then when I take folic acid tablets 5mg it whizzes up to 20. When I stop it drops again. I just take a tablet per week now.

• Posted

If you don't mind my asking is that on the recommendation of a Dr and if so, did they give you an explanation for your diminished levels despite your taking Folic Acid?

• Posted

One doctor gave me the 5mg daily ones and after a blood test I noticed the figures had rocketted so I talked to my normal GP who set I did not want the results going up and down so suggested I just took one a week. The other GP had said that as you get older your folic acid tends to get depleted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.