Folic acid for anemia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having very heavy periods for extending amounts of time so my doctor ordered a blood test. A reception rung today saying they’ve review my blood test and I have a prescription waiting for me and to take 1 a day then go back in six months for a repeat blood test. I have been given folic acid? I am confused as I thought this was for pregnancy? I have been doing a google search and have come across folate Deficiency however would this have been caused by the periods or is folate deficiency caused by poor diet? I am on no other medications at present. Thank you as I’m very confused by this all. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Often when women are low in iron their periods become heavier. I suspect that your iron and folate has come back low and low folate is the cause of the low iron. 

Low folate and or b12 can cause low iron. Low iron causes heavy periods. 

I would however ever book an appointment with the doctor to discuss or at least obtain a copy of your test results. Low folate is usually diet or digestion/absorption related. 

• Posted

HI 

it’s called megoblastic anaemia when you are deficient in folic acid , it interferes with the formation of red blood cells .. so your body may have sufficient iron stores but can’t form healthy red blood cells without enough folic acid .. but Jenny is right this deficiency isn’t caused usually by heavy periods it is often caused by stomach issues with absorption .. i was tested for coeliac etc.. 

its a lot easier to take folic acid than iron .. a positive in this ..

• Posted

I have had symptoms for IBS for the last 2-3 years, I’ve just never got it checked out, I will rebook an appointment so we can get to the bottom of this. Thank you guys. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.