Folic acid for RA.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was sick this am and think I brought back folic acid.I need to take folic acid before my dose of methotrexate tommorow. Should I repeat my folic acid today or tommorow and then either carry on with my methtrexate either tommorw(if I repeat today) or the next day(if I repeat tommorow)?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun. I was always advised to take my folic acid 2 days after the methotrexate. Not sure whst your rheumy has told you to do?
    • Posted

The Rheumatologist always said take 5mg folic acid the day before taking 20mgs of methotrexate. I see others take after and also daily.
  • Posted

My Rheumatologist gave me prescription strength folic acid of 1mg to be taken once a day every day.
  • Posted

I meant to ask, how long had you had the folic acid in you before it came back up? I've read that as long as it's been 30 minutes or more, the medication has gotten into your system already. That being said, folic acid isn't harmful anyway, it's just a B vitamin, so taking another shouldn't hurt you. 
    • Posted

I took it early morning along with other tablets and Iwas sick about 30minutes aprox later.It certainly wasnt several hours later.
  • Posted

I think the point is NOT to take it on the same days as the MTX nor the day after because it interferes with the potency of the MTX.

I take mine 3 days a week mid-week and MTX on weekends.

• Posted

I was told also take folic acid day after MTX i have not long took my MTX on and monday 20mg and will take folic acid tablet tmorro tuesday was told that right from the start by consultant..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.