Follicular Nodule FNA question

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with multinodular goiter, the largest nodule is solid and cold - 5cm x 2cm although it may have grown since the initial ultrasound, as I can definitely feel it more now, pressure in neck (especially when lying down), swallowing difficulties etc. Another is 3.8cm x 1.4cm and the rest around 2cm. I am not currently medicated and TSH fluctuates from around 1 to around 3, FT3 has only been checked once so far and was 4.8 (3.5-6.5) and FT4 was slightly high at 20.6 (9.8-18.8). Not sure why FT4 is high when FT3 is lower than mid range. 

The FNA off the biggest nodule came back as benign follicular nodule with copious thin colloid, haemosiderin-laden and foamy macrophages and hurthle cell change. Just wondering if anyone has any insight in this FNA, as I read some type of cancer can’t be diagnosed by FNA and this might include follicular nodules and hurthle cells? 

Thanks smile

Andrea

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea

I think you are right,

When I had my last FNA, the result was F3 so right in the middle, F1 being deffo benign & F5 deffo malignant.

I was sent to ENT surgeon to have left lobe of thyroid & MNG removed. They also removed a lymph node. The largest nodule was sent for cytology & eventually came back Follicular Carcinoma of the Thyroid.

I was told that the only way a definitive diagnosis could be made was by removing & studying the nodule.

As to whether this applies to yourself, only your Endocrinologist can really explain. It may be that they will monitor more frequently.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.