Folliculitis, dermatitis scalp

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from this condition for about four years now my head is covered in thick dead skin have incredibly large sores on my head and I’ve been told there’s no cure for this that it may go into a mission. I’m wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to how I might be able to manage this I have seen for dermatologist currently I’m on a medication for epilepsy that stomps the nerve endings in my head from being irritated because of this condition I’m also on Claris, which is like Accutane I can’t even go to the dentist because there’s so much stuff on my head. I haven’t had my haircut in four years, I’ve done it myself , it’s not that I’m embarrassed by this condition because I can’t help it but it’s unmanageable and it would be really hard to get any dental work done with it. I can’t wear my glasses anymore because it irritate my head I’m just looking for people that may have a similar situation and some ideas as to how I might be able to get rid of this or at least take it down. I have hard crusty areas on my head that have folliculitis in them and they make my head swell with dead skin. That’s my story and this stuff is horrible. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy or my ex-husband thanks for reading. Any suggestions please let me know. I’ve tried rubbing alcohol bait dying all sorts of shampoos. I just don’t know what to do. I can’t see the time cause there’s so much coming off my head.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi barb99053, your story resonates with me. I remember a time when my scalp was full of sores which then would become covered in a thick layer of flaky, scaly skin. Trying to remove the flakes would expose raw, wet skin and make things worse. I went to dermatologists but did not find help. The more often I washed my hair, the worse it got. Eventually, it became clear that I am allergic to SLS, a surfactant used in some shampoos and toothpastes. On top of that I have seborrhoeic dermatitis. Treatment did not work because the medicated shampoos I was prescribed contained SLS.

Of course, your condition could be totally different. But still I would recommend using a mild shampoo with few ingredients. Currently, I am using Head and Shoulders Bare Minimal Ingredients Shampoo. To soothe the skin I am using Dove Dermacare Scalp an Anti-Dandruff Conditioner (medicated with 0.5% Zinc Pyrithione) leaving it on for 5 mins.

To remove and soften thick scales I would recommend weekly treatments with Ceanel a medicated shampoo (containing Cetrimide and undecenoic acid) for treating Scalp psoriasis, Seborrhoeic dermatitis, and dandruff. This works best while having a hot bath to soften your scalp. Ceanel is applied twice and each time it is left on for a few minutes.

After I found out what was wrong the condition of my scalp improved within a week. And yet I suffered for years. I really hope that you find a solution as well. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.