Follow up of exchange of an exchanged iol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Friday was my monthly follow up from surgery on my right eye ( non dominate) i have a restor 3.0 multifocal toric that replaced an exchanged restor 2.5 multifical toric that was 1/2 way out of the bag.( original surgery 12/2017 where dr said it was the wrong power installed i am a previous lasik patient, exchanged in april 2018 with an addition 1.5 added power and discovered by getting a second opinion and about to have yag done that haptic was out of bag when really 1/2 the lens was out of bag viewed by 3rd opinion and current surgeon...also the lens was tilted at an angle causing my ghosting effect) im currently still on once daily drop of ilevro, and over the counter lubrication drops 4x daily. my near vision is 20/20, my distance does not register a prescription but is still out of focus. also, i do have a .50 astigmatism. surgeon believes all will continue to improve as days/weeks/months go on. i do see a shadow or rim effect out of corner of eye, but am told that is from incision and should go away.

as for the left eye that still has a restor 2.5 multifocal lens, it is causing complications in the mini monovision area. i have 20/40 vision at best with this eye, but my distance is clearer/sharper than the recently replaced iol. my reading out of left eye is basically non existant. so my brain is going back and forth between eyes, which is not a good recommendation with the multifocal lenses. They should be working in tandem. dr says we can exchange left eye whenever i feel comfortable or we can leave it as is and do lasik to correct the distance only. i will be opting for the exchange.

i was given much more information from this dr than my previous one. using a multifocal lens means you need to get it just right, not close enough. also, women require a 3.0 lens more than men, due to pupil differences, and the fact that we are just smaller. our visual range for reading is nearer, and the range for the 3.0 is closer in than the 2.5. the 3.0 has 12 concentric rings as opposed to 9 with the 2.5

i will more than likely have the left eye exchanged in march. i would like to see the right eye distance come into view before i procede, because as of now, if both eyes were the same, at distance i would not feel comfortable to drive at all especially at night!!

low light conditions really effect my vision. even cloudy days are a struggle im not sure how to respond to this yet. i hadnt expected outdoor vision to be compromised, and i live in sunny florida.

hope this helps others in their decisions or complications of cataract surgery

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

thank you for sharing your story, very helpful information. I'm having cataract surgery in January. I've got three different opinions from three highly qualified surgeons about which lens to go with (aack!).

nerve wracking decision!

• Posted

Thanks for the update - sounds like a very long journey to having better vision. I wish you all the best in recovery and decision for second eye.

Couldn't help but note what you said about women and our pupils being smaller. I have often wondered if my near vision with Symfony is due to that - and whether even a monofocal would have provided good near vision too. Will be making an appointment with optometrist for annual checkup in JAN/Feb so going to ask that question.

Again wishing you all the best.

• Posted

I would also like to add a "Thanks!" for sharing your story. It can't be easy having to go through another surgery when so many options are facing you.

I've been following (lurking) another posting about Symfony with a great deal of (sad) interest. I wish doctors would just take an extra 5 mins. with their patients and explain, IN DETAIL, what is reasonable to expect and not, based on that individual's prescription, etc. The old cliche of "the devil is in the details" is so very true when it comes to this surgery.

I wish you the very best.

• Posted

thank you! dr shatz spent a lot of time with me this visit my follow up lasted an hour i would think most are around 15 minutes. He gave so much more information than the previous dr, and i trust his abilities. He also said he rarely installs a 2.5 and just recently did so for a male recreational pilot who specifically wanted intermediate and distance vision to be sharp, and would only need readers once in a while. that is the true purpose of the 2.5 i always wanted to be glasses free as much as possible...the 3.0 can do just that. dr shatz said he believes that alcon introduced the 2.5 to compete with the symphony. honestly, i dont know if i could get a symphony lens in the USA. my first surgeon just asked do you want monofocal monovision or multifocal that was basically it for descriptions, i said i dont want to wear glasses--ever! and he said, than multifocal is your best choice, and he chose the lens type and size and power was assisted with the ORA during surgery. Do i think the first surgeon could have helped explain better-yes. and because ive had such a bad experience with him i am sending a letter to the surgical center and state board of physicians/surgeons. i legally cant sue him due to it being "fixable". but i can request a refund and leave a bad comment here or there . im grateful that im almost out of the woods on this subject, it has consumed almost a year of my life now, and its time to look forward

• Posted

You likely meant this for Julielyn.

Do so agree with you that doctors should be having fuller conversations with patients. Likely much of the time after surgeries discussing it could be saved had they done so. Was reading one article on Saturday stating that in the area of negative or positive dysphotopsia doctors generally don't discuss these prior to surgery as they don't want patients to necessarily be watching for it (something along the lines that if suggested patients would note more of it).

• Posted

an informed patient is a much happier patient in my experience...why drs leave things out due to fear, frightens me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.