Follow up on ankle injury

Posted , 4 users are following.

Many thanks for your feedback. I wanted to know if anyone had similar experience in past for hairline ankle fracture. I have a friend who did walk in hard cast and there was no issue. Doctors have said no weight bearing, but still I wnated to see anyone has these experience. Also, please advie if after 6 weeks and acst removal, I can start walking without crutches or not..Its realy frustrating and I want craving for my normal life..

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My problem is different, but the doctor said that after I have my cast removed at 6 weeks I'll need crutches for a couple of weeks for partial weight bearing. You may not need them that long, but after 6 weeks your calf and ankle will be very weak so you may not be able to be full weight bearing right away. I agree it's frustrating. I have to use a knee scooter right now and it's affecting my entire life.

• Posted

Dear Becky

Have you considered buying an iwalk 2.2 ? If it works for you you will be hands free. It is working for me as I get ready for revision surgery of my TAR.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I actually have one, but I don't feel very stable on it. I have problems with the knee and foot in my "good" leg also so I decided to give up on the iWalk.

• Posted

Dear Becky

Ah now you mention it I think I remember you saying that perhaps in another discussion. Such a shame but I understand. For anyone who can manage it it makes coping with living on one's own a lot easier when the only alternative is a knee scooter or crutches. Hope that your mending is going OK.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Thanks, I think the foot is mending as planned. As irratating as the scooter is at times it's probably safer for me, especially on the days when I keep my 2 and 4 year old grandsons. The little one likes to ride with me.

• Posted

Good to hear that you are progressing well. I bet your grandsons think riding on the scooter with gran is great sport!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I understand your frustration 100%, I had surgery on the 16th of January and have beeb NWB since,,,and it has pretty much taken my life away from me because I don't drive, and can't really get to the bus stops on crutches.

Also, just because a friend walked in a hard cast doesn't mean you should, especially when the doctor has said no!!

We can't say for sure what will happen after 6 weeks. The hope is that there's enough healing for you to become WB, but if you haven't healed enough, then you won't be able to. My guess though is that at 6 weeis you will probably be at least PWB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.