Follow up to earlier post today

Posted , 5 users are following.

i used the PREMARIN as directed last night. I woke up during the night with vulva burning. Today I have terrible vulva soreness. Has anyone had this problem? I am guessing the PREMARIN can move into vulva from the vagina. So discouraging.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maryann,

After just one application of Premarin, I suffered for days with swelling and pain. The vulva burning was terrible. i had to sit in a cool bath and use ice packs. I saw my gynaecologist today who said that PREMARIN has the most irritants in it. You are not alone in having that reaction.

• Posted

Thanks, Julie. i am doing baking soda sitz baths and will use unrefined organic coconut oil.

i had my hormone levels checked via blood work in JULY and the hormone levels were good. I am so confused why these Dr.'s keep prescribing hrt therapy.

• Posted

yes...forgot to mention that i do the baking soda baths (as it does seem to help with the burning) and i use the coconut oil daily. unlike you, my hormone levels are not good and HRT is being recommended.

• Posted

Hi Maryann I just started the Premarin cream a couple of weeks ago and the first couple of nights it burned a bit but it seems to be okay now after 3 weeks using it

• Posted

Paisleygirl, in my quest to increase awareness about premarin, i shall re-post here what i posted in Maryann's other discussion:

I would never use Premarin. It is made with pregnant horse urine. PREgnant, MARes, urINe. The mares are kept chained up for their whole lives - imagine horses never being allowed to run - they have to be pregnant so they are forcibly impregnated by a man shoving his arm up their vaginas and once they have given birth their male foals are taken from them and slaughtered (the female foals get to live the life of torture that their mothers had) then the whole process begins again. That is their life until they are too old to have babies then they are slaughtered. To concentrate their urine and the hormones in it they are given very little water. This is a totally unacceptable practice when there are alternatives available. Furthermore, the horse hormones are not the same as human hormones and therefore incompatible with our physiology. Premarin was the first HRT to be tested on humans and they had to stop the trial because the side effect were so severe the women were at serious risk due to cancer and cardiovascular problems. It is these trials that are the basis for all the side effect warnings on all HRT. There are far safer alternatives now. I use Ovestin (estriol cream) - estriol is known as the protective estrogen because it actually protects against cancer and cardiovascular problems.

• Posted

Wow thanks for this ....Does Ovestin have to be by prescription

• Posted

In Canada, you need a prescription and it must be compounded which means expensive. I do not believe that is the case in the UK. Not sure about the US. I have been unable to use the estriol cream although i have read that many women have had a lot of success with it. Best of luck in whatever product you decide to use.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that if you are in Canada, it might be very difficult to get your doctor to prescribe estriol. i had to pay $150 to a naturopath to get the prescription and then about $75 for one months supply of the cream (that I am now unable to use).I went to see my gynaecologist today and when i tried to asked her a few questions about the efficacy and safety of estriol versus other estrogen products, she literally acted like she had no idea what i was talking about...like she had never heard of estriol before! So frustrating.

• Posted

Yes it by prescription but what country are you in? In the UK it is available in a tube but in the US and canada I think you have to get it compounded at a compounding pharmacy. I would be very surprised if you were in the UK because they dont really offer premarin here now, Ovestin tends to be the go-to topical hrt cream.

• Posted

Thanks Julie I am in Canada ...I guess I'll have to try and find something else or maybe go to a naturopath and see what they have to say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.