Follow up to my r. hemithyroidectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw the surgeon this week and have been told my lump, removed three weeks previously was cancer and that I now need a total thyroidectomy  to get rid of another nodule on the left side. This will be followed by radio active iodine and thyroxine for the rest of my life. 

i was shocked because I can't have the next op until the bruising on my vocal cords has gone down, but was under the impression that no news is good news and surely it didn't take three and a half weeks for the lab report to come through. In my hospital working days any abnormality was reported to the surgeon/ doctor straight away , who then informed the patient. Despite feeling so dreadful my family kept reassuring me that if anything was wrong I would have been told at once. Now they are  worrying themselves sick. We are keeping this news away from their father as he is 95 with Alzheimer's and doesn't understand why I cant do all I used to!

So we go through the whole thing again with all the  medications doubled up to reduce my dangerously high BP before the op, which last time was cancelled  twice in ten days before the team decided to go ahead.

I am still being monitored for the stroke I had last December and in hindsight that wa probably a blessing as the lump was found during a carotid scan. I wonder what else can go wrong!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So very sorry to hear this and such a shock for you.  The only thing I can say is that from what I have read cancer of the thyroid never spreads anywhere else and once you have had it removed that will be the end of that worry.  I wish you all the best. xx
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this Jenny and yes you would have thought they'd get back to you faster. I wish you well with the op and treatment. It will soon be sorted out and you'll feel better. Stay strong xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.