follow up treatment

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was curious about what follow up treatment you got when diagnosed with hypertension.

I was diagnosed, I had stage 2 hypertension and put on pills. I was told to come back in two weeks after blood test. I did and the dose was increased. They seemed surprised that I did come back. note Imade the apointment on my own initiative. They increased dosage as pills not working and then thats it.

I havent been asked to make any follow up appointments to see if the drugs are actually working.

I wasnt asked to monitor my bp at home.

Given no advice as to what level the bp should be reduced to by the drugs so if I hadnt ask would not know if pills working.

Due to the impossibilty of getting same doctor Ive seen many and none seemed concerned by my bp. Its not as high as some but I wouldve though 150/110+ was not great!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yah.  Don't even get me started.  I was never advised to measure BP at home, either.  Doctors still think it's 1890, as best I can make out.  But I generally was given follow-ups, between two weeks and six months after.

So, do measure at home.  And if the numbers do not come down reasonably within thirty days, make another appointment ASAP - or call immediately and discuss the issue, see if they want to adjust dosage right over the phone.  Frankly in my experience if the numbers don't come down within a few *days* at most they won't come down on that protocol at all.

• Posted

yeah this is what doctor said to me and so increased the dose.

I just find it weird I had to go to the doctor to tell them that.

After being put on drugs, the only follow up was to discuss blood test to make sure the drugs werent harming me, but no checkups to see if my bp is going down!

• Posted

How old are you ? Regular exercise will help bring it down as will change of diet and stopping smoking if needed.

Caffeine will also raise your BP and heart rate.

• Posted

For some people, the readings will take while to go down. The reason being that diagnosis comes with anxiety. In my case, i could probably have done without medication. However, because i was anxious, my readings were always high. Doctors too will turn you into a robot. Please relax and put measures in place i.e. reduce salt, exercise etc to naturally reduce your Bp. Don't just get the pills - the side effects are terrible.

• Posted

I do exercise and dont yave much salt. I defiitly needed the drugs , I felt like s*** all day fir past few yrs and the within a couple of days of taking the low dose I felt fantastic with no side effects

And I even have normal readings occadionly now.

• Posted

Did you try breathing excercises and organic, non-irridated, flax seed meal?
  • Posted

Hi there

I personally would push to fi d a dr who does care, sadly in the UK so many people suffer from high bp it is the norm. Buy a very high quality (top of arm with a cuff) and take your bp . Isame time every day following instructions and keep a diary so you have a record. Work at more excercise and diet which does help. My dr's call me in once a year for medication check and thats it, so don't expect anymore from a surgery!!

Very best of luck.

Regards.

• Posted

Yes, your BP is too high so hopefully with neds will reduce. Get an accredited BP monitor and make sure you have it calibrated every year. I use an Omron M7 Intelli IT which allows me to store BP readings on my Smartphone. Having had a blood test, did your doc give you the data? Where was your sodium and potassium values?

Cheers, Paul

• Posted

my surgery allws you to results online, I sometimes get the impressin this is why you have to be proactive in making apointments as the test results say whether you need to contact the doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.