Food

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anybody found that certain foods trigger off attacks of AFib?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely. I have mine culprits down now, and a key culprit for me was wheat along with alcohol. A key problem is that here in the US wheat seems to be in everything so I have had ot be very vigilant....
    • Posted

It's the same here in the UK with wheat. Sugar, caffeine and milk are other's I can't tolerate.

• Posted

Well, sugar. caffeine and alcohol (and stress) are known to cause one to secrete magnesium and potassium and they are critical for heart balance. If you are over 20 years old, you probably have evolved away from milk products so that should come as no surprise. I am intolerance to milk proteins (unfortunately).
  • Posted

I get af from any foods or drinks with preservatives and or msg in them.
  • Posted

Definately, it took me several years to identify the culprit foods. So basically I am now, gluten free, wheat free, oats free and added sugar free. Also picked the bits out of the FODMAPS diet. I have now NOT had an AF event for a little over 2 years.

John

• Posted

I'm just starting to fing my triggers. So far - red wine, prosecco and whisky. Not so much with beer or white wine (in moderation). Foodwise, overeating esp late at night might threaten it. I don't eat much cheese or chocolate anymore and I keep clear of saturated fats if I can. Good Luck! ... and keep a diary.

• Posted

ps ... make sure you get good quality and regular sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.