Food After Removal

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering if others with problems with food after removal

would be interested in a thread saying what foods you can tolerate .?

Does anyone find they can eat salmon without getting diarhea ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes i am interested to see what foods people cannot tolerate after gallbladder removal. I had my op 3 weeks ago and get a lot of stomach cramps and gurgling! I am still having minimal fat but am eating lots of sweets as i have a sweet tooth. I love chocolate but realise it contains a lot of fat so i am only having a little chocolate. I am a vegetarian ( do not eat meat or fish) and i am hungry all the time even though i eat loads. I need to put on weight as i lost just over a stone pre op as since my last attack i cut out cheese and chocolate (my bmi is low at 17). I am hoping i will be able to eat more fat like curries, nuts, cheese and chocolate but am trying things slowly as i don't know how my body will react. I am in my 40's and female and live in England.

• Posted

I've had to cut out chocolate all together as it upsets my stomach.

Miserable when you can't eat anything you fancy .

• Posted

I am 3 months post op. My stomach does not like higher fat foods too much.

The main things are dairy, higher fat meat like mince beef, higher fat snacks like chips or crackers.

I think so far, the dairy is the worst.

I adore cheese and this makes me so sad, but if I even have a mouthful of cheese from say a bite of pizza, my stomach get's very angry and I get painful cramping and then diarrhea.

It's not always instant either. Sometimes it can be hours later or the next day, but either way dairy is not tolerated by my stomach right now at all.

I hope it changes in the future. I have heard that the longer past the operation, the better things get.

Most say wait at least 6 months, so I am still crossing fingers.

• Posted

I am going on 9wks post op now. One of my biggest problems is peanut butter. Which I love because I used it in all my protein shakes before working out. Can't even do almond butter because it's just as high in fat as Peanut butter. I'm getting kinda tired of the same ole same ole foods. Baked chicken almost everynite, mashed potatoes, rice. I love vegtables but I am really afraid to go there yet. My GI dr. says it usually takes about 6months. I drink alot of almond milk and I have done pretty well with hard cheeses. Especially cheddar. You might want to try that. I also do dairy free yogurt which is really good too. I don't have diarrhea I just get major heartburn and chest pain. I sure hope this passes. I'm ready to get back to my regular life!!

• Posted

Have you seen your doctor about the heartburn,

You can get something for it . I live on Gaviscon!

• Posted

I am a little bit 4 months after OP and have not had major issue regarding food.

I eat everything, including ice cream, beef, etc., in moderation-I think it is a key...

• Posted

Moderation doesn't help me. Just a small bite and on comes the

pains and sometimes diarhea . You are lucky to be able to eat

what you like . Good Luck for the future , hopefully you'll

be ok and won't get any stomach issues.

• Posted

I agree, moderation won't do the trick, either your stomach accepts the food or it doesn't, unfortunately.

After the surgery, you will have to try things out to see how your stomach reacts.

But try small portions (obviously) until you know what is okay and what isn't.

It's normally the higher fat foods or dairy that will causes issues.

• Posted

I am almost 6 weeks post op and the only foods i can really tolerate is baked chicken, tuna, low fat turkey sandwiches, pretzels, and applesauce. I can only really eat at night also cause i get really bad nausea during the day. Sometimes it sticks around all day. I tried eating peanut butter and its a no go right now. Same with diary. My stomach cant tolerate it right now.

• Posted

Some of the foods that bother you post op, wont necessarily always bother you. i kept a log of the foods that made me run to the bathroom and tried them again a few months later. Sometimes it just depends on the day. I also did a low carb high fat diet and that was fine for me too even though you digest fats a lot differently after gall bladder surgery. Sometimes if i eat a fatty food in the morning, it effects me differently than it does in the evening. I noticed that Bananas made me feel awful ever since i had my gallbladder removed.

• Posted

My diestive system is up the left since my gb removal just over 2 weeks ago. Can eat in the morning right up until approx 3 pm and then everything seems to stop. Lost a stone since removal, but needed to anyway. Ate a load of chocolate as it was easier to get down. Going to go into town today and get digestive enzymes to see if they will help. Anyone tried these?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.