Food allergies?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

For a long time now I have been experiencing symptoms that I now believe may be related to a food allergy or intolerance although I never really put the symptoms together.

I have always stomach aches and churning noises from the stomach and although I wouldn't define them as severe I would say they're certainly there or maybe I've just got used to them. I've noticed that they're particularly bad after eating junk food such as pizza and i feel truely awful after having Mcdonalds. Although I wouldn't say that stomach discomfort is my main symptom. This is kinda awkward but I seem to have quite sloppy poo and it takes an awful lot of wiping if you know what I mean.. my bum is also sensitive when I go to the toilet and sometimes bleeds and it's not piles..

What I really struggle with is huge bags under my eyes sometimes people ask me if I have a black eye and they're really dark and shine because they're that black. They do get better some days but they're never completely better and I always have dark circles in some way or another.

Brain fog is a big issue for me and I feel like I'm always in a fog and have difficulty concentrating or abstract thinking. I have a rubbish memory and I also get fatigue a lot and sometimes feel like it takes a huge effort to exercise and do strenuous activities. I have suffered with anxiety and depression in the past and although I feel considerably better it does still effect me.

I'm wondering if you think these symptoms are likely to be caused by a food allergy and if so what the likely culprits would be and also what the best course of action would be. I'm thinking of trying an elimination diet but what should I try to eliminate?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wanted to add that I don't eat junk food often and generally try to be healthy by eating a good diet and doing regualar exercise. I also have a Keratosis pilaris rash which I have never known the cause of. Again thank you and any responses would be appreciated

• Posted

The first thing I would try to eliminate is dairy foods, especially milk. Hank
  • Posted

Hi Wez,

I am not surprised that you feel like crap after eating at Mcdonalds. I would suggest for you to have an allergy test, because that’s about the only way that you could know for sure that you have a food allergy or intolerance. One thing you can do now is stop eating all processed sugar including sodas, cakes, donuts, candies, etc. Drink plenty of water and eat a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, grains and meats. Make sure you get enough fiber in your diet. I found out some things that made me feel really bad; it was that I was allergic to wheat and eggs. I definitely feel bad if I eat processed sugar, or even too many fruits. Download the “MyFitnessPal” app and log what you eat everyday and make a note of how you feel after eating something. Best wishes to you Wez!

• Posted

Food allergy is among the diseases considered to be part of the Atopic March. Also known as the Allergic March, this term refers to the progression of allergic diseases in a person’s life: eczema, food allergy, allergic rhinitis and asthma. Not everyone will follow this progression, or experience every condition.
  • Posted

I had many of the same symptons you had--especially the sloppy poo and the bleeding. And terribble, terrible brain fog!  Mine were related to gluten.  Once I went off gluten, my energy came back and the bleeding stopped. 

The rectal bleeding was definitely worse when I had low quality food. I remember my favorite cupcakes at the grocery store--made by a mega manufacturer--were guaranteed to make me bleed. 

Had I been diagnosed sooner and stopped eating glutent, I may not have developed the rectal ulcer I have now.  

My suggestion would be to try a week to 10 days with no gluten. Eat only whole foods, because package food manufacturers hide gluten in everything.  Then see how you feel. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.