Food Before And After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering  how many  have been able to eat better 

after Gallbladder removal and how many are worse off afterwards  ?

I'm still waiting for surgery  and am struggling to eat.  

Experiences  please  good or bad  as I  need  to  prepare  myself. 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I was told I could eat anything, but the bowel movements later are not that good. Probably because over half my bowel was removed nearly 4 years ago and my gallbladder 4 1/2 months ago. I'm going to see a dietician in two weeks. I'm sure you'll get more useful advice soon on this forum. Someone called Sickofwaiting is very helpful. Good luck! 

• Posted

Sickofwaiting said she was taking herself off here unfortunately after being given a lot of grief from a particular member when they disagreed on something 👎🏼 Xx

• Posted

Oh. That's a shame. I found her very helpful. Thanks for telling me. 😟

• Posted

I did too and myself and some others messaged her to ask her to stay as well. Never know she may come back as she was ever so helpful!! xx
    • Posted

Good luck with the dietician John.  I  hope you start doing  better. 

• Posted

That's a shame! Sickofwaiting is lovely and has been very kind to me and took the time to answer me many times.

If you read this sickofwaiting please come back! xx

• Posted

Got my gallbladder out 7 weeks ago but haven’t been brave enough to try certain foods yet. I’ve managed to eat cheese which has lots of fat in it though! And chocolate too. 

Tbh I didn’t really eat a lot of fatty things before the surgery anyway. Had yellow stools after surgery to begin with and diarrhoea a few times but that was related to antibiotics I was on. 

Before the surgery I had extreme nausea so was struggling to eat as well. After the surgery I started by eating soup and toast or ham sandwiches. Things that are pretty low in fat and easily digested. About a week after the surgery I managed macaroni cheese which I think would be pretty fatty because of the cheese content. 

So in answer to your question I’m not any worse off after the surgery.

Good luck for your op and hope it’s a success so you can get back eating properly xx

• Posted

Hi Scottie

Glad things are going  well  for  you.  Keep in touch and let 

us know how you are doing  👍

I  wish Sickofwaiting  would come back as I  miss  her.   I'll be having my

surgery at the same hospital as her and she was    giving me all the info  .😔

• Posted

Private message her. It should come up in her email notifications so she’ll know you’ve tried to contact her xx
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I had my gallbladder removed in 14th July. I had had issues for years without knowing what the problem was. I could hardly eat anything without either getting an attack of pain or painful, extreme bloating. I can now eat pretty much anything at all with no problems! I perhaps have slightly smaller portions now, and have learned to stop if I begin to feel full, as that can cause a little discomfort, like indigestion. 

Having my gallbladder surgery has been amazing! 

When is your surgery? 

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Glad to hear that you can eat much better now.  

I should have had my surgery 2 weeks ago but  the day  before  I

Had to go to A&E with a different problem and  my surgery  had to be cancelled. 

I'm on the waiting list again  and  I  can't  wait  now,   in constant   pain  in my ribs

back and front,   plus   can't eat anything without  pain.

Linda x 

• Posted

I kept ringing up to chase up my appointment and they put me on an emergency cancellation list. Otherwise I don’t honk I would have had mine out yet! I was told in April that it would be a six to nine month waiting list. Hope you don’t have much longer to wait x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.