Food Getting Stuck in Throat + other synptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

For the last 5 or 6 days food has been getting stuck in my throat and it is causing me a lot of discomfort and stress.

Every time I eat or drink something I feel like

it is not moving down properly and I constantly get these burps where I can taste whatever I have consumed.

I also have had some back discomfort particularly in the left shoulderblade which is also very bothersome.

I've had some problems with god getting stuck in the throat in the past but never this bad. About a month ago when I was on holiday and my diet was very poor.

I have saw a GP who has presscribed me Omeprazol and referred me to a gastroenterologist. Unfortunately the appointment might not be for 4 weeks and I'm struggling quite a bit.

Any idea what this could be? I don't seem to have an acidic reflux type of feeling either. Anything I can do to maybe help this? I'm very worried and I'm considering going to the emergency room if it doesn't get better as I'm struggling to even eat or drink.

Thanks all

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all don't panic. I know it's easy to say but stress will make it worse. Everyone thinks the worst when this happens. In my case I had an oesophageal ulcer which took 6 months of treatment for it to heal. I had all the same symptoms as you apart from I've had digestive problems most of my life. When the food gets stuck try to remain calm. My food eventually would pass the point of the ulcer. I quickly learned that taking a drink when food was stuck was not a great idea. I had 6 endoscopies - 1 per month. If you need any more information I'll do my best to answer as much as I can xx

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

Will the omeprazol help with this issue at all?

I'm also having back discomfort to go along with this and some general fatigue (legs feel sluggish).

Should I still wait to see the gastroenterologist considering the appointment may be a month away or can I do something myself sooner (ie. home remedies).

I'm trying my best to stay calm but it's such an uncomfortable feeling that it's all I can think about, and I really dread having anything to eat or drink considering I know what's going to happen.

Thanks for your response and help

• Posted

I have almost exactly what u have but my food is going down a little easier than yours I think but I ran out of my omeperzol and I feel like since then it has been a lot harder to breath and it always feels like there is something in my throat.

I would say if your super worried and want it checked out sooner even just for a piece of mind go ahead and go to the ER better safe than sorry! I'm sure ur just fine sometimes you have to give that omeperzol some time to kick in! Im always at the ER it seems and the doctor office just to make sure I'm ok. I've been contemplating going for 3 days now. I also have anxiety so that doesn't help the situation! Best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Hi, the omeprazole didn't work with me but they put me on esomeprazole which worked this is better than omeprazole. If you feel you need to be seen then go to a&e although you will probably have to wait a while to be seen. I waited 4 weeks to be seen but if you can afford to, you could make an appt for a consultant privately. It will cost appx £150 pounds and you can transfer over to Nhs list. Doing that could quicken your waiting time. If you do go the private route try to get the appt with the same consultant that you've been referred to on the NHS. To be honest, you might not get to see a private consultant over the next week or two due to holidays. By which point you may have your nhs appt through by then. There's no home remedies that I'm aware of for this. Try to contact the consultants secretary at hospital to see how long you will wait and try to phone the private hospital for the same. When I went to hospital there was no initial clinic meeting and then appt sent for endoscopy. They went straight to endoscopy. I don't know if this is normal or it was because of y history. You will get a lot of back pain and your body will ache in various areas. You'll be feeling a bit run down, stressed and obsessed by what you're eating and drinking. I tried to eat softer foods but they did stick sometimes too. I constantly was on internet to see what the causes could be and obviously everyone who has this fears the worst. I was shocked when they said it was an ulcer but by no means is it easy to deal with and cope with. I really hope you find out soon what the cause is. Good luck xx

• Posted

Go to the ER. IF liquid anti acids don't work or pills it could be oa other issue.

just to be comfortable go to ER . ALSO SLEEP in recliner chair to keep the reflux under control. Stay on non acid food no spicy or drink fizzy drinks to burp trapped gas. plop plop fox fizz tablets put into water really heled me when this happens.,

Since you have back discomfort I wonder about galbladder stone.any xrays? 

see more info on side bar.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

• Posted

Try eating softer foods like fish mashed potatoes rice pudding don't eat spicy foods and don't drink coffee and I find if I drink anything hot or eat anything hot it makes my symptoms worse you could go back to your doctor and ask to try a different PPI medication also eat slowly chew your food a lot try to relax when eating hope this helps and good luck

• Posted

Hi all, 

I really appreciate all of your replies and advice. Thank you so much.

So I have been taking the Omeprazole since Saturday. So Sunday at about lunch time I felt slightly better. The chest pressure and kind of nauseating feeling was not there when I ate food. I still feel some tightness around the throat, I think food is going down but I still feel some maybe come up when I burp. It's kind of hard to tell.

The localised pain in my back isn't really there anymore either which is good because that was bothering me a lot. I will see how I go until Wednesday then I might still go to the ER if things dont continue to improve somewhat.

I did feel very run down these past few days and that also seems to be getting slightly better, but I certainly do not feel perfect.

Thanks again for all your help. I am not sure what exactly is going on, I wonder if some kind of virus or something like that is possible? About a year and a half ago I had a 2-week period where I developed tinnitus (still have it) and had all sorts of strange symptoms but that all passed in 3 months or so, whatever is going on now is reminiscent of that.

• Posted

Glad to hear you've had a slight inprovment I'm sure it will continue You mite find a visit To your GP a good idea tell them how run down You feel also if things down go on improving please go seek help

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. I'm still considering going to the ER on Wednesday if things don't improve in terms of the throat.

I still feel like there is a feeling of obstruction and I'm still not super comfortable eating or drinking.

• Posted

I am also just struggling with just being anxious about the whole thing. I don't normally suffer from anxiety but I can get quite anxious in situations like these.

• Posted

So today my throat area isn't giving me a tonne of grief, but it doesn't feel perfect. Feels somewhat tighter around the upper throat area and I do feel some slight nausea too. Was much worse on Friday and Saturday I think but still not amazing.

I really don't know why but I feel so beat up physically. My legs feel very heavy and so do my arms. GP ordered me a blood test that I will take tomorrow but just not too sure if this is all interrelated or if my body is just fighting off some kind of virus/infection etc.

• Posted

Ask to have camera cut down it could be your throat and gullit are a little tight this is something that can be pit right I believe they can stretch the gullit I would go back and ask to have camera if I was you
    • Posted

I haven't seen a gastro doc yet only a GP. It will be over month before I can see one unless I go to the emergency room and maybe push for it. I understand most members here are from the UK but I'm in Australia so our health systems may differ.

If my throat and gullit are tight, then why do I feel like crap in general? I get intermittent bouts where I'm just standing and I feel quite nauseous. When I climb stairs my legs feel extremely heavy, I'm a 27 yearold male so this isn't usually a problem for me.

• Posted

I would go to the emergency room then and tell them your symptoms I don't think it should be left for that long

• Posted

Ok so at present, I feel physically somewhat better but not perfect. Throat still feels tight when I swallow. Not sure if food is getting stuck or if it just keeps coming up, but I get burps every now and then and can taste my previous meal.

I have decided to wait until Saturday (Wednesday here now) and if no improvement I will be going to the emergency room and seeking out the throat camera.

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea I can go sooner.

Thanks again to everyone for help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.