Food induced fibromyalgia???

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've been suffering from chronic fatigue for several years. I've recently

discovered a "cure" of sorts. As long as I don't eat, I start to feel fine.

As soon as I eat *anything*, I start to feel like I fell down a flight of stairs.

I seem to tolerate small amounts of fresh celery but that's basically like

eating nothing. I also seem to tolerate my morning coffee fine but basically

anything else and brain fog, muscle aches, basically feel like I have the flu.

I obviously can't stop eating so it's not really a solution but I was wondering

if anyone else found that fasting helped their chronic pain. Oh, and

I've been tested for common allergies and came back clean and also

I don't suspect allergies if for no other reason that more food doesn't seem

to make it any worse and might even make it better. i.e. I feel slightly

better if I eat an entire meal versus when I just eat a banana. I've tried

fruit, vegetables, meats, etc.. there doesn't seem to be any food group

that is safe. Even diet soda is a no go and makes me feel like I got hit

by a truck. The worse offenders (if there is a worst offender) seem to be

soda of any kind including diets, pepperoni, orange juice, and anything

with sugar in it. I've strangely found that 1 glass of soda floors me but

several glasses in a row and I start to feel a little better. This could partial

be because my IBS kicks in and basically flushes the entire system clean

though.

Anyways, does anyone else find that fasting improves their symptoms?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wilson, fasting depending on what you mean does not help. It's Ramadan at the moment so from sunrise to sunset no food or drinks, I kept only one and was in agony. I take meds though and my body clearly needs it. But I find if I don't eat I feel sick and lightheaded and being on meds I can't take them on an empty stomach. I know you're saying you feel better when you don't eat but you'll end up making yourself more poorly. Could you try food that's not too heavy but still gives you the much needed nutrition? And hopefully you won't feel too bad. Sending you well wishes.

• Posted

What's strange is it doesn't seem to matter what I eat.  As long as I don't eat, I feel ok.  As soon as I so much as take a single bite and my body takes a nosedive.  So the usual advice of eating small meals frequently, etc...  doesn't really help me.  My current strategy is to skip breakfast and lunch and then try to eat a relatively healthy meal right before bed.  This allows the worst of the fatigue and brain fog to dissipate before I wake up.  I know this isn't typical fibromyalgia as most people with fibromyalgia and RA tend to feel worse in the morning.  I wake up feeling fine.  A little groggy but a cup of coffee later and I'm pretty good.  I generally try to get as much of my work done first thing in the morning and hold off eating as long as I can because as soon as I so much as take a bite of food everything starts to shut down.  Complete fasting and then an evening meal tends to make my IBS real bad when I finally do eat.  I suspect it might be dumping syndrome but eating an occasional stick of celery helps me have something in my gut so that things aren't quite as bad when I finally eat my evening meal.

• Posted

hi Wilson. I definitely think my fibro pains get worse with food too. I pretty much always have the least pain when I get up, and the worst pain in the evening, after eating a big meal. Certain foods definitely seem to make my pain worse too, particularly bread / beer / gluten. I haven't tried fasting properly, but I have noticed that when I've skipped breakfast I haven't had much pain in the morning.

• Posted

I never heard anything similar about being eating almost anything - each one of us we are unique so the same health condition is different for each patient.

• Posted

Hi Wilson, I have not ever heard anything similar - for you less you eat better it is.

Yes, I drink soda sometimes when I have guests, I mean , company and work more than normally.

As we read here on the Forums each one of us is different, we are unique.

As far as you feel physically ok keep following your organism,

Take care

iellen

• Posted

Hi wilson42,

As each one of us is unique the best we do for us is to follow our own organism.

What is good for one is not good for all.

Do you take Vitamins?

My doctor recommends Vitamin D3 5000 Inuits,

Vitamin B12 when necessary, Vitamin C, Centrum Siilver (women), CoQ10.

Wishing you the very best,

iellen

• Posted

As each one of us is unique we better follow our organism.

You feel fatigue.

Don't you take some Vitamins?

The good we eat dies not give us all we need.

My doctor recommends some Vitamins as:

Vitamin C, Centrum Silver (women), D3 5000 iu ,

COQ10 and others.

Wishing you the very best,

iellen

• Posted

I got some lab work done and found out that I have calcium crystals

I'm on a low oxalate diet and feel a little better

Check it out

• Posted

I have learned over the years to watch what I eat.  I am extremely MSG sensitive and I watch my sugar and sodium intake and drinks LOTS of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.