Food intolerance and behaviour problems in toddler

Posted , 5 users are following.

My two and a half year old has been having problems with generally difficult behaviour, crying and very extreme and extended temper tantrums for some time. Any experiences with cows milk and soya allergies and intolerance. Behaviour and bloating are only signs 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Are you sure that your toddler is suffering from milk/soy allergy or intolerance. What I think,  you should first get your baby for an allergy test. Soya and milk allergies often associate fever, blisters and itching/swelling. Try elimination diet. And consult an immunologist. 
  • Posted

HUGS, Fiona!  Food issues in a little one are so discouraging...I've been there!  Well, I'm still there in a way and my little one is now 8. So, to echo TeddyCan, please see an allergist and have testing done.

It's not an exact science. It's very, very frustrating to be the parent of someone with food issues - but seek any testing and treatment that you can!  Both of my boys spit up A LOT as babies (Dr. didn't think anything of it) and both had eczema. My older DS outgrew his around age 5 (mostly outgrew around 3). My younger DS still has eczema. He reacted to his first taste of peanut butter at age 2 & allergy testing revealed that he was allergic to nearly everything: nuts, milk, soy, wheat, eggs...!  Our allergist told us to only avoid nuts, as he wasn't "reacting" to the other allergens and some could already be outgrown. We have an epi pen we've never had to use, thank goodness!

Fast-forward to switching allergists and still having a crabby, itchy child - and one who now aches and fatigues...just not the well 4 yr old he should have been. At age 5 I took him to a pedi rheumatologist and she did loads of bloodwork, all of which came back normal. Except for Coeliac Disease.  Luckily we were still giving him wheat, even though that's what was making him sick! He was better within weeks, FAR better in a few months and ALL better in about six months! Now, he still has eczema, sigh. But, behavior is SO much better!

Before eliminating foods, have allergy testing done - keep a journal/log, too. You may eventually eliminate if necessary but never eliminate wheat/gluten until CD is completely ruled out!  Most of my son's allergies have been outgrown - not nuts and probably not wheat, but absolutely milk & eggs! smile  Some of this may just be wait-and-see but you won't know anything until you get some testing done.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

I get symptoms like you described. Iritability, bloating, headaches, stomach aches to name a few. I have an intolerence to sweetcorn (anything called corn and maize are the same thing but a lot of people dont realize that). It also didnt show up when I've had allergy testing several times but is definitely the cause. Behaviour difficulties and exteme irritability and anger are fairly common but due to the poor results from allergy testing for it I suspect it could be one of the most under diagnosed allergies/intolerences there is and it is just about everything you can buy in the shops including probably 99% of medicines which are available so if your giving them medicine to help it may actually be making it worse..

Look at this page for a list of things commmonly (but not always) produced from corn.

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.