food phobia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm scared to eat, the look, the smell and the thought of food make me want to be sick. I have lost a stone in the last two weeks and been hospitalized twice. I don't have anorexia, I don't think I'm fat or want to be skinny. I'm just to scared all the time. I'm on anti anxiety meds but I don't feel that they help.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Can you think if anything triggered this phobia? Have you discussed this with your GP as you mention you're on meds already?

• Posted

I'm not sure, I had a tummy bug a few weeks ago but I don't know if they are connected and then I started a new job (which is why I'm on the anti anxiety). I was shaking so much I couldn't eat and food was giving me panic attacks.
    • Posted

So there are two potential triggers there. I think you need to discuss it with your GP. Are you doing any kind of therapy? It again may help to prevent it spiralling into a severe phobia.

One step at a time, you've recognised what may have started it so you're getting there already

• Posted

Yeah I have started going back to counselling again because I was am feeling severely depressed with it. The problem is my GP has already signed me off work for a week and I don't think my new job would tolerate it again.

I think part of the problem is I'm so scared Il need a poo at work my brain wont let me eat.

• Posted

If you are signed off work then you are not fit to work. Any employer would have to tread very carefully round you.

You definitely need to discuss these feelings with your GP so you dan take control. Go back to GP and try and be as honest as you can. Keep me posted xx

• Posted

But I haven't even been at this job a month and to be honest I cant really afford to not be working.

It gets so bad Sundays and Mondays, I feel so scared this morning and in so much pain every where. I just feel like I cant do anything any more.

• Posted

Well you really need to concentrate in your health first. You need time and understanding to get better. Can you speak to your HR dept for support at work?
    • Posted

I have talk to my managers about what's going on and they have been really nice but I don't want to push my luck with them and the owner of the whole company is aware of how ill I have been. I just hate being this anxious. I made an appointment with my doctor but they didn't have any until the 8th of October. I'm constantly in pain with my stomach as well which doesn't help.
  • Posted

you definitely have an eating disorder which you need to come to terms with and accept.  the sooner the better.

/richard

• Posted

But its not because I think I'm fat or want to lose weight, its a fear and I don't know why. I really want to eat like I use to.
  • Posted

a phobia of food is also a kind of eating disorder because if you don't eat eventually you will curl up into a ball and fall ill.

Richard

• Posted

Think of food as a natural substance rather than something your mind is telling you what it actually is to you. Be confident and just chill, food is good in its proportions, surely you'll be able to break the fear, hun :3
  • Posted

Hi Cakey7, work is something you can do wihout atm, your ill and need to be off work to get well. If your employers are understanding which they apparently appear to be then your position shoukd be safe.

You need anti depressants and CBT preferably a spell in hospital where they can give you more close care to get you on the mend.

Have you tried eating little and often especially fruit and veg as small nibbles.

n

• Posted

Hey everyone, iv now been in my job 6 months and the meds have helped. I have put on weight (which I don't like but I'm trying to tell myself is a good thing). I have really bad ibs which was affecting my eating but thanks to the people at work being not in the same boat but close I have been eating better. I just want to get the thought of putting weight on out of my head. Thanks for everyone's support, it really means and meant alot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.