Food poisoning?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Had a meal at a carvery on Saturday night and yesterday had diarrhoea and vomiting.  Today had green diarrhoea !  My gp thinks it might be food poisoning - has anyone else had this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Poor you. Yes I have been there! Presumably your GP took a sample and will get it tested. He should let you know results. 

Plenty of rest, and lots of water, but I expect he already told you that.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

many people are getting a summer norovirus in the UK right now; be careful/avoid eating foods prepared by hand - eg salads and snadwiches; you might find it goes away  for a day or two, only to return a few days later; if others are in the house, better to close the toilet lid on flushing it -  virus droplets spread into the surrounding air, are breathed in by others,  or land on surfaces such as door knobs and even toothbrushes. Few people realise this... also keep the bathroom door closed after use....amazing how many metres the virus can travel air borne - eg from the person being sick. Also a good idea to wash all bedclothes at  high temp
    • Posted

Pat thanks for replying and thanks for the good advice!  Do you know of anyone who is suffering from this at the moment?  Am not sure if this is going around in my area or not.
  • Posted

I caught it last week, Sue, not sure if it was eating shop bought mixed salad, or from someone else who had cold symptoms at my local church. I dont think its bacterial, as I have a runny nose thing, but you may be different. I hope you get better soon. I still have headaches and stomach pains. I was reading about the BATS diet - banana, apple sauce, toast, rice, thin chicken/beef soup/broth - best things to eat when trying to eat again (I as find boiled peices of ginger boiled - and with half a lemon - makes agood drink to help stomach. Also eat some finely chopped garlic mixed with mashed banana can kill any bacteria in stomach, and helps stop stomach pains).  best of luck and get well soon
  • Posted

PS I also mix honey with the hot ginger/lemon drink. Aldi also sell cheap lemon and ginger tea bags  - as well as cheaper (than anywhere else) Manuka honey which is said to heal intestines, throat bugs, etc. I also saw Poundland are selling Aloe Vera Juice for only £1 for 2 bottles!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.