Food poisoning?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, is it possible that a mixture of minced lamb and feta cheese, kept covered for 24 hrs in a fridge, then cooked thoroughly, could cause food poisoning?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

If your food has been in the fridge for 24 hours and then cooked thoroughly and eaten the next day. it should be fine. The fridge helps to keep the food fresh. Obviously, you don't want to keep the food for too long. Have you had food poisoning from this meal? If not, I wouldn't worry. When I have had chicken on one evening, my dad puts the remaining meat back in the fridge over night , covered. I then get another meal from it the following day.

• Posted

Thanks. Just wasn't sure if mixing the raw mince with cheese might cause it. Anyone else know? I'm thinking now that it's a virus I've caught.

• Edited

The mince wouldn't be raw when you cooked it and neither would the cheese. Lasagne is made with raw mince and cheese and cooked thoroughly and is perfectly safe. It's not the mixing of foods that's the problem; it's a question of the ingredients being fresh and cooked properly. As long as the meat didn't smell, didn't taste strange, and you washed your hands before and after handling the meat, you should be fine. It sounds more like a virus which is common during winter. There are a few going around. I know of a few people who have had stomach viruses. There is also the possibility that you had an intolerance to what you ate.

I think most people here will tell you the same thing regarding your worries, What I have mentioned is standard advice about food preparation. If you are still unsure, speak to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.