Food Poisoning

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi gang

I was asked if I can find out if green mould that you see on bread can do any harm? But apparently he ate some while eating a sandwich but never knew till he swallowed his first bite.

I was asked by a friend, but I don't have a clue, as I have not eaten it myself.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Mark

    I have a bit of knowledge about this, I was a Microbiologist in a processing dairy, and one test we performed on our products was a Yeast & Mould test. Yeasts and Moulds are an indication of spoilage, and were used to give us an idea of how long the shelf life of our products should be.

    Yeasts and moulds are not Pathogens (food poisoning bacteria), and a small amount eaten shouldn't cause any serious harm, as long as you aren't in a high risk catergory (eg: elderly, pregnant, etc), so as long as your friend didn't eat any more of the mouldy food, he should be fine. But do look out for any sickness and/or diarrhea just on the off chance. Most food manufacturers have different tolerances for test results, at the dairy I worked for we used to nuke the products to make sure that bacteria levels over all tests were as low as they could be. I think most food processors go overkill with making food safe to eat, it eliminates the likelyhood of seriously contaminated food being sold to the public.

    Hope that helps.

    Report
    • Posted

      Yes paul75665, this does help. One thing I didn't mention as he never told me until I posted this message was that, he suffers with ulcers and acid reflux. But he should be ok if it was only a small amount.

      I told him on the of chance, to go down to the pharmacy to get them to recommend something incase.

      Report
    • Posted

      Wise to get him to go to pharmacy just incase, but it would have to be a lot of advanced mould growth to cause any serious probs. It might make him feel some slight nausea, but I doubt even that, although he should be used to feeling sickness and nausea if he suffers with ulcers and acid reflux.

      Just out of interest, any chance you could tell me what your friends main symptoms are for acid reflux and ulcers. I only ask as I have been having such probs with my stomach over last 4 months, I'm constantly in and out of doctors with no ideas as to what is going on. I believe that I have had, or do have, stomach ulcers. I have been taking the PPI Omeprazole for 2 and a half months, and my stomach feels so much better than it did before I took this. All I seem to get now is lots of stomach gurgling, bloating, burping, sharp random upper body pains and a lot of nausea (no vomit). I would be grateful if you could let me know what your friends main symptoms are, just to see if they relate to me.

      Cheers

      Report
    • Posted

      According to my friend, he has the following; increased stomach acid to the extent that he coughs it up, heart burn, stomach cramps, trapped wind.

      He said that he has had a camera down his throat/into his stomach and that is how they diagnosed stomach ulcers.

      He now takes Omeprazole 20mg, one twice a day and Ranitidine 150mg, one daily.

      But I can tell you that some time ago he has had surgery for ulcers, but don't know what they did. He is back from the pharmacy and was recommended to take Imodium plus (Loperamide 2mg).

      Report
    • Posted

      Cheers for that info Mark.

      I can see why it was probably best for your friend to see the pharmacist, sounds like he's had a bad time of it lately, and better to prevent anything else happening to him. I hope he gets back to full health soon.

      His symptoms do seem similar to mine, especially the heartburn, trapped wind and stomach cramps. I've just been to Docs and they have put me in for the camera, so hoping this might answer some questions.

      Thanks again.

      Report
    • Posted

      Hope all goes well paul75665, at least you will know either way as to the root of the cause.
      Report

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up