Food poisoning

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been unwell for 7 days. The first two days was mostly a gassy stomach, and then on day 3 very watery diarrhea. This has now been going on for 5 days.

I didn't go to my GP straight away, as i thought perhaps it was stomach flu and being sensible about what i ate, drinking lots of fluid and getting lots of rest would clear it up. However, when i was still basically in the same position yesterday as i was on Monday i made an appointment. My GP thinks I have food poisoning, but cant say which kind until test results come back.

Meanwhile, i just don't feel like I am getting better. My GP said I could take some immodium, but that has had no impact.

I am drinking lots of fluid, and eating small meals - but anything that i eat seems to send my insides into hyperdrive, with lots of gurgles and then diarrhea. Its making it hard to want to eat anything 😦

I've never been this ill for so long before, and not being able to leave my house because of the diarrhea and the suddenness it can come on is making me depressed.

I guess i am hoping for some reassurance that this will get better, that 5 days of diarrhea with food poisoning isnt unusual.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go to the nearest hospital emergency room as soon as possible. They have the equipment to test your system that an independent doctor does not have and they can give you the necessary treatment immediately.

• Posted

My GP did say that most cases of food poisoning wouldnt be treated, but left to run the course. He did say if things get worse to go though, but i think it was more the worry of dehydration getting worse than my sickness.

• Posted

Sometimes food poisoning effects can linger. It is your body's defense mechanism. E coli especially. Your system becomes hyper vigilant, which is a good thing, it tells you your immune system is intact & even though its aggravating, you can take steps to minimize this.

Firstly, avoid over spicy foods, bland is key for a few days until your body calms down. Get adequate rest. your body is in self defense mode, let it regroup.

My best advice is just take it easy and slow getting back to normal.

your mind is often stronger than your physical senses. You think you should be healed but physically, you may still experience symptoms for a while. LIke picking at the injury, only this injury idcc

• Posted

Thank you.

Yes, i am getting plenty of rest and taking it very slow - i think sleeping for a couple of hours during the day helps a bit.

Totally understand what you mean about my mind thinking i should be better but my body not agreeing. I will just have to hope eventually they get back in sync!

• Posted

Hi Bee,

I was told that the effects of food poisoning can last for a few weeks at least. Have you had a blood test? And a bland diet is good, drink lots of fluids.

I'm in the same boat. 7th day, I have left the house for short periods but I'm on metranazidole which the doctor prescribed but getting back pain now and bowels still erratic

• Posted

No blood test - i think doc wanted to wait on outcome of stool test. which frustratingly i dont think will be back till next week.

i am trying to eat bland food, so toast, soup, pasta. So far the food i seem to be ok with is yogurt. Though I dont think that will be very balanced!

Drinking lots too. One good thing is my GP didnt think i was dehydrated (yet!) although i can feel that my skin is starting to feel it.

• Posted

Does your belly feel sorry and do you have any back pain at all?

• Posted

No back pain.

My stomach is only sore after i use the bathroom... i seem to be getting a lot of gas and that seems to rush through my insides and can feel painful as it goes.

My GP did a check by pushing down over my stomach etc yesterday and that didnt hurt at all.

• Posted

Tests will show what the food poisoning bug was; this will tell the doctor what medication you may need. I find it strange Imodium doesn't help. I find it does work if you take two after eating. I would go back to your doctor and ask for a stronger diarrhoea medication.

• Posted

i cant see my GP now until Monday (and even then i would have to convince the reception staff this is an urgent medical need - almost had me in tears when I made the first appointment on Thursday).

There did seem to some improvement in frequency yesterday, but I have been woken up by a need to use the bathroom at 4.30 am...

I can call NHS 111 - or go to a walk in centre. My gp did mention this to me if i needed out of hours help.

• Posted

Try bananas or rice which can help to bind you up. I would go to a walk in centre for quicker help. Try to keep hydrated with plenty of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.