Food poisoning, Bug or worse?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Blood in stool

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Pressed the button too quickly before I'd finished!

So Sunday 12:40 am I woke up feeling sick, dizzy, my hands tingling weirdly. Had terrible diarrhoea all that night with sweats and shivers. At 7am next morning I started getting blood rather than diarrhoea ( about 5/10mls not masses). I had tummy cramps all day. Went to go he said some bugs cause blood and ordered a stool test. Next day Tues, felt like I needed the toilet but just a bit of mucousy blood. Wed & Today I've been once to the loo but there's blood still and I think quite a lot! I'm waiting for stool results. Anyone had s bug or food poisoning that's caused bleeding? Thanks I'm worried

• Posted

One important thing is, is the blood bright red or is it a browny red.

If it's bright red, it's usually from near the surface. Brown red is from higher up.

Have you got a temperature?

Why I asked that, is that I had campylobacter a few years ago, and had the same symptoms you describe, plus a high temperature.

With food poisoning it can go on for several days.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I suggest you go for endoscopy if blood continues. because it can be a bleeding ulcer as well.

There is no need to worry because that is curable by medicine.

• Posted

Hi sam 21389

Have you been eating beetroot or any red colour foods? Failing that you may have an anal fissure that will bleed and usually shows at the end of your stool as it passes out.....or you may have hemorroids (piles).....or there could be something more sinister going on with your colon...in any case i suggest you pay a visit to your doc......best wishes.....

• Posted

Hi sam 21389

Sorry I didn't see the rest of your discussion.....so yes as previously mentioned by another forum member you need to have an endoscopy or a colonoscopy....ask your doc to refer you..dont be fobbed off .. rectal bleeding should not be ignored...

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replies.

i have seen the gp, I went the first day I was ill.  She said a bug can cause all these symptoms, hence the school test. Waiting for results.  It does seem odd that this has started after a bout of  diarrhoea, nausea, hot cold sweats that appeared from nowhere ( typical of a bug), I agreed with the go that food poisoning or gastro bug could've caused bleed but it's two days on now and my stool is getting back to normal with this blood still. So it's streaks of blood on the stool but I think some also mixed in. Sorry tmi! It's red not brown. I think it's a lot but have no idea if piles bleed a lot.  About 2 months ago I went to the Drs and I had a pile ( no blood) was given cream and suppositories and it went back inside. Could it be this? Could the diarrhoea have made it bleed, doubt it'd be this much. Sorry thinking aloud. 

My dad died of bowel cancer this us why I'm freaking out. I had a colonoscopy/ endoscopy two yrs ago all clear.

• Posted

Yes, if you are constipated or have diarrhoea your piles get sore and can bleed.

The blood would be bright red as it's more oxygenated near the surface than it would be from higher in your bowel.

Is it painful having a bowel movement?

It could be an anal fissure.

A small amount of blood looks a lot, 

• Posted

Thanks Laura

im feeling better inmyself today so hoping the bug I've had is on its way out and the blood will just stop. So worrying though 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.