Food Poisoning or Something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've had diarrhea in the morning for about 5 days now, loss of appetite for 3 days, and I feel generally tired.  I also get nauseous when I try to eat food but no vomiting.  My doc has already done stool/blood tests, all came back ok.  Now she is suggesting IBS but I don't have any stomach pain which is normally associated with IBS.  I also haven't noticed any triggers or other IBS symptoms.  The only thing I can wrap my mind around is food poisoning or stomach flu.  If that's the case, how long will this last?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I would try the BRAT diet and see if that helps with the diarrhea. Apples are especially good because of the pectin.

And drink enough water, no sugar and make sure you get minerals and vitamins since the diarrhea flushes all out.

And take a probiotic to help the good bacteria. 

• Posted

Stomach viruses can last for 1-3 days, diarrhoea may last up to 10 days. If symptoms began after eating, it could be food poisoning or something that disagreed with you. Have you eaten anything unusual you wouldn’t normally eat?  Did you eat anything out of date/undercooked?

Don’t worry about it; these things clear up and are very common particularly during the winter months.  Start with small sips of water, then if you keep that down, try sips of milk.  It is important to keep hydrated as soon as you can. Stick to a very bland diet once you are able to eat.  Avoid fruit for a week after diarrhoea and try bananas or rice to firm yourself up.

• Posted

The only thing that I can think of is the coffee I had on Sunday, which I rarely drink.  I got really shakey afterwards and it calmed down after I ate.  Maybe the coffee stimulated my stomach which has been trying to heal after having been on antibiotics in January and being constipated in February. Besides the coffee, nothing out of the ordinary or expired that I can think of.
    • Posted

I was thinking more of a food related stomach upset rather than drink. I think it sounds more likely to have been a bug rather than the coffee since you felt better after eating.
    • Posted

Hi, coffee can be very acid and hurt your stomach plus it is very dehydrating. If you got shaky after the coffee and food made it better then coffee could trigger stomach pain but I don't think 5 days of diarrhea. With a sensitive stomach I would 100% recommend staying away from coffee and caffeine in general.. 

• Posted

ah, I see now that you said you have it in the morning.. what about the rest of the day? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.