Food sticking

Posted , 6 users are following.

I struggle with food sticking midway in my oesophagus. It is not everymeal but can once or twice per week and its always in the same place. Any acid reflux also attacks the same place. I have recently also experienced issues with liquids where i seem to have to burp to get it flowing. I do have an appointment for an endoscopy next week. Anybody experiencing similar things and if so what was your diagnosis.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This message is for all of us-  Just because we have reflux on the esophagus or the back of the throat/vocals like me doesn't mean we have high acid in the stomach.  Low stomach acid has the same results. Normally a person has less acid as they age, so the problem is not necessarily high acid, it could just be the valve not working properly.  That is why I'm so interested in the Stretta treatment if it appllies to my condition.
    • Posted

I was regurgitating food and or acid coming up to my throat, lots of acid. Changing my diet lessened the sypmtoms but did not cure the condition that I have. As you say we all have different symtoms.
    • Posted

I get reflux up to my throat/vocals as well. I feel the pressure and lack of air on a daily basis which health anxiety makes it worse. But the reflux on my esophagus and throat is mild for now. I also have upper back pain and Rib-cage pain (burning) but not on a daily basis.  You for sure you appear to have a bad valve so I really hope the Stretta treatment helps you. Looking forward to hear positive results from you. ;-)
    • Posted

I am due to have treatment, Wednesday May 25th. I need to put some weight back on. I recently lost 6.35 kg through stress and worry over my ageing mother. I was back and forth to her home and I did not eat well, less than my miniscule diet. So I am down to 55.24 kg

Doctor has done extensive blood tests, all came back clear.

After the Stretta treatment, I will be on 3 weeks liquid diet and the following 6 weeks soft foods. I am concerned that I will lose further wieght. So I have 4 weeks to try gain wieght.

• Posted

It's almost impossible to gain weight the healthy way, specially with reflux or gastritis.  I lost 52 pounds so far and the only way I gain weight is by eating more sugar.  I can gain 5 pounds in 3 days just by eating more bread and 2-3 donuts daily.  Sure, it also helps to be at the beach eat fast food and just relax. ;-)
    • Posted

btw, I really hope it works for you. Only 22 days to go. ;-)  I will ask my Doc if that is an option for me.
    • Posted

You are right - I have been given PPI for acid reflux and HH - not taken any tho - decided on Zantac and mastic gum - big diference - I have a good book by a nutricianist and she says in a section on "stools" runny or whatever - mine stick - firm but stick to the bottom of the loo - she says this is a sign of too much damp in the body and a sign of too little stomach acid!!!!

Why then do I want to reduce acid by PPI ???????????

Any thought welcome especially from Barretts x

• Posted

I do know something for a fact- I can eat a pizza or a small healthy meal and my symptoms are the same. Actually, sometimes I feel better with the pizza. ;-)   My GI for 2 years said I had reflux and Gastritis and I needed to take PPI's.  When I question her she will say that I do have acid.  So after almost 2 years I decided to change my GI looking for a 2nd opinion and asked the new GI if the PH test results I had on hand showed I had high acid. He took all my records, made a copy and came back and told me " All I see here is that you have mild reflux on your esophagus and mild Inactive Gastritis"    Then I asked him, and that can be from low acid, right?  And he said, Yes. ;-) So I'm due for a Mononetry tomorrow to check my esophagus and the valve.   Based on al the articles and books I have read acid in the stomach is not the problem in most cases, you actually need high acid in your stomach.  What you do not need is the reflux in your esophagus or any other place so the problem is the valve which is the surgery Barretts had done.  Just now I was offered a free service from Tricare Humana to receive a personal nurse to manage my case and this includes internet services to review my files.  The first thing I read was a BIG warning about PPI's.  This is not the media or an internet site saying be careful with PPI's. This is a official federal account that gives patient a warning about these medications.  I'm not saying not to use them, but make sure you actually need them before is to late. ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.